Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this a featherweight?

Ask if the knee lever is there. I bought one with no lever. Cost me $25.00 to buy one and a lot of searching, so keep that in mind.
    Linda Wa St

No, it's not a Featherweight (Singer 221). It is a Singer 99. That is the 3/4 version of the Singer 66 workhorse. I have one and it sews beautifully. If you find a Stoppax attachment for it (on ebay, about $60) and a feed dog cover, you can also free motion quilt with this machine. While most of my vintage machines are pristine or at least very good cosmetically and otherwise, my 99 is good mechanically but scratched cosmetically. I therefore use it for paper piecing, with pins that could scratch it. It is straight stitch only; not sure if there are zig-zag attachments for it, etc., but I would think so. It takes short-shank attachments, which you can get anywhere.

I went into a thrift shop a while back and they had a machine just like that saying it was a featherweight. I told them no it was a Singer 99. They wouldn't believe me so the simplest way for you to tell is pick it up. A featherweight weighs 11 pounds. A 99 weighs about 30 pounds. Feel the difference!

I too, have that same bentwood case that I spruced up a bit. It was missing a small piece of wood but still looks very good to me. My case holds a 3/4 machine with La Vencedora decals on it. It too is in really nice shape. I was so excited to be able to buy it & it was my first purchase in the vintage addiction & has spurred me on to buy more but are only used for decorative purposes, so far. I have a FW from 1946 that is going to get some use soon.Enjoy your machine & that case will look fabulous when you clean it up some.
    Dance like no one is watching

I have one of those machines in the garage

I have one just like this, its a 99K, my machine is a hand crank. It used to have a motor on it, but being it was a 220volt; it wouldn't have worked in USA.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Lormito View Post
    Attachment 385016

I found this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a featherweight. The serial # is AB551904
    I had just finished reading this thread and then went to check out machines on my local CL and I came across this same picture....lol! I must live in the same general area as you, Lormito!!! $50.00 is an alright price for it. You might even be able to offer them a little less, since it's been listed for at least a week and no one has snapped it up, yet.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    There is one for sale on CL in Indianapolis, too
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2