Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Featherweight- What should I look for when buying?

Featherweight- What should I look for when buying?

I may have the opportunity to look at a few featherweights that will be for sale tomorrow at a yard sale. I have always wanted one. I don't know what to look for because I have never been able to afford one so I never bothered to do any research. If you can help fill me in or know where to look online for reliable info I would really appreciate it. Also what would you pay for a yard sale featherweight? I suppose the last question was a silly question being that I don't know the condition. Eek I'm so hopeful that I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight!! lol

Check ebay CLOSED listings for the going prices. Make sure the wiring is decent or be prepared to pay to repair it, or do it yourself. Make sure the bobbin case is there. It's about a $50 replacement part. The more accessories, the better such as case, tray, etc. And make sure the motor works and ask to plug it in and test drive it.

In this area, I have only seen one Fw at a yard sale and they were asking $180----bought before I got there....or I would have paid that......Craig's list $275-$300, antique malls---$399. Don't be afraid of a little dust but do make sure things move, and has a bobbin case....and foot pedal....Good luck, they are wonderful machines.....

Check the overall condition, no rust, flaking paint, gouges etc. Decals should be intact and bed should not be covered with scratches. The case shouldn't have mildew or smell moldy, the hinges shouldn't be broken and the accessory tray, attachments and manual should be included. Definitely check for the bobbin case as they are more than $50 in Canada. I've seen featherweights priced from $10 to $500 at garage sales although the price seems to have leveled off lately.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

For me the biggie is to make sure there isn't any rust and that it has a bobbin case. If no bobbin case, knock $50 off the price right away as you'll have to replace it. Also make sure the motor works. Cosmetic condition isn't a huge concern for me. I agree with checking eBay completed listings, it will give a good idea what condition can command what price on the mass market. Attachments can be had for around $10-15, and replica manuals for $15 or a free download. If you aren't going to travel you don't need a case, or you can sew a bag. But all of those tags should play into the price. At this point I wouldnt pay more than $225 for one and it would need to be in excellent shape. They can be bought on eBay or goodwill for around those prices. If the cosmetic condition isn't grand, then i would say $175 is around the tops I would go, and subtract from there any missing parts. That's based on my area though. I won't buy one with rust,and won't buy one if the motor doesn't work. I would buy one that doesn't turn by hand, as I think I could fix it.

Yep, make sure it has the bobbin case. I paid $350 for my FW two years ago & was told that was a fair price by all. It had the carrying case & everything except the oil can.
    In stitches
    Janie

Bobbin CASE is # 1 ................

Well? Did you get one?

Inquiring minds want to know how this turned out and if you got one!!!!
    Karen in Kentucky