Finally playing with the 201

Old 04-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Finally playing with the 201

My thread keeps breaking. After taking everything apart, cleaning oiling and reassembling I see that my needle isn't centered in the[ATTACH=CONFIG]571118[/ATTACH] hole. How do I fix that?
Attached Thumbnails 20170406_163205-1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM

I had to take off the needle clamp and scrape it clean with a tooth pick. Quite a bit of grime was gathered in the groove where the needle shank goes, preventing it from inserting correctly. Remember to insert the needle with the flat part towards the left and it threads from right to left. Snapping thread is usually tension to tight, weak thread or burr in the metal some where along the way. I also had to scrape out grime along the edges of the hook and race, as well as bobbin case for it to click properly into place (I think oiling and cleaning had made the dirt expand).

Depending on needle size, the needle doesn't alwasy center peferctly. There is an illustration some where showing this. You should scrape the grooves in the feed dogs clean too, a tooth pick does it easily. Have you had the needle plate off?

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-06-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Banned

Mickey is right, clean out the needle groove, feed dogs and bobbin race. The needle won't be centered in the hole even when everything is cleaned.

Cari
Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Actually, I think the picture Mickey2 was referring to is at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t275248.html BUT it is for a slant shank machine. ArchaicArcane explains why the needle is not centered in the first post of http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t275248-2.html

As Cari said, "The needle won't be centered in the hole even when everything is cleaned." I have a 306 service manual that gives a different relationship to the needle hole but still not centered.

Since the above links are regarding the 201 you may want to read the whole thread.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM

I sewed a lighter weight fabric with no problem. The item I was trying to sew is like canvas or a Wilendur tablecloth. 2 pieces. Tried to sew that again after the lighter fabric and it broke again. I am using a heavier thread and I think it is a 14 or 16 needle.
I did take apart the bobbin case and cleaned and oiled it as well as the rest of the machine. It wasn't that dirty, just had a little gunk on that large silver bar underneath. So I guess my problem is with a heavier fabric? I'm still going to look at checkling that needle clamp. Thank you everyone
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I had to take off the needle clamp and scrape it clean with a tooth pick. Quite a bit of grime was gathered in the groove where the needle shank goes, preventing it from inserting correctly. Remember to insert the needle with the flat part towards the left and it threads from right to left. Snapping thread is usually tension to tight, weak thread or burr in the metal some where along the way. I also had to scrape out grime along the edges of the hook and race, as well as bobbin case for it to click properly into place (I think oiling and cleaning had made the dirt expand).

Depending on needle size, the needle doesn't alwasy center peferctly. There is an illustration some where showing this. You should scrape the grooves in the feed dogs clean too, a tooth pick does it easily. Have you had the needle plate off?
Yes I found a great place online that has step by step easy to follow instructions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

It is always a good idea to clean it up a lot before changing any adjustment - you'll need to polish off the burr in the needle plate sometime, too.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:00 AM

The feed dogs look like they have old dust gathered down there, but I'm sure you will get around to it. It took me a few attempts too, to get all parts up to par (Actually a week). The black japanning shines up wonderfully with car polish :-)

Thread snapping happens if you have too small needle eye for the thread used. If you use heavier thread, max out on needle size like #18 or #19. The old cast iron models can use up to size #22, and they can have an advantage some times (I found them on ebay).

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-07-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

The home sewing machines are generally make to accept up to an 18 needle. Any bigger and they may not pass cleanly through the hole. They could strike the plate or rub thread on the hole causing thread to shred or strike the hook causing it to burr. If that machine was in my shop I would be looking at the hook and needle plate through a magnifying glass to be sure it is clean of burrs. I had to change out a plate on an industrial machine to accept a larger needle. Even then it was not ideal since it was made for speed not heavy fabric. I would also put in a NEW size 11 needle and see if it centers. You want NEW to be dead certain that needle isn't bent or dull when you test sew. If an 11 centers you should not make any adjustments if you have cleaned that machine well. Do not be in a hurry to adjust any machine until it has been thoroughly cleaned and oiled and has a brand new out of the package needle. For sewing your heavy weight fabric you need a size 18 needle. If after cleaning and checking to be sure the needle is centered with the NEW size 11 needle it still rubs you may have to adjust the needle position.

Last edited by miriam; 04-07-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

SMI(sew much information) on this forum.