Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Finding cabinets for a vintage machine >

Finding cabinets for a vintage machine

Finding cabinets for a vintage machine

Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 AM

Default Finding cabinets for a vintage machine

I know the cabinet I got with my Singer 201 is original to it, but I need something that has more storage for attachments and things. I don't have a craft room so any time I need something, I'd be running into another room because this cabinet has one tiny drawer. So I'll be selling the cabinet and getting a different one.

I love the art deco one, but those are so incredibly rare to find here. I'll probably be finding a cabinet at the thrift store.
Do cabinets for machines like Kenmore and other brands fit my Singer? Are they all a standard size?
Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 AM

That is a good question and by coincidence I just measured my 2 Kenmore machines yesterday. They are both cabinet models and both different so these measurements will let you know if certain Kenmore cabinets are even an option.

The bed size of my 117.841 is 17 x 7 3/8. That machine has square corners so the cabinet does too.
The bed size of my 117.740 is 15 x 7. That machine has rounded corners so the cabinet does too.

I'd recommend that you measure your machine and take a tape measure with you when you are cabinet shopping.

Can you post the measurements of your Singer? I'd be curious what they are. I only have my Kenmores.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 AM

If it's a later made Japanese machine, usually they are the same as Singer. Kenmore (sears) liked to be different, and often went with something so that you could not use aftermarket items with what they sold.

older machines (pre WW2) often times the answer is no - they were way more brand specific. And even if the spacing is the same, the hinge pins are not. Some are too long, some are too fat, some are more square shaped, and some are round. Some require set screws and some do not. Now if you are creative, you can make just about any machine fit in any cabinet.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 AM

Luckily Singer cabinets turn up on a regular basis, there are usually one or two available at any time when searching local web sites or thrift stores. Here they tend to have the original machine still in place, cabinets only turns up too, but not as often. If you can invest a bit of time, money and patience I'm sure an art deco cabinet will turn up too. At a good price you might afford an in-between cabinet if you can't cope with the one you already have for the time being. My suggestion is to keep you eyes open for a suitable Singer cabinet, and wait it out ;- )
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Does anyone know if a 201 would fit in a desk that a Singer Touch and Sew Zigzag 600E was in?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
That is a good question and by coincidence I just measured my 2 Kenmore machines yesterday. They are both cabinet models and both different so these measurements will let you know if certain Kenmore cabinets are even an option.

The bed size of my 117.841 is 17 x 7 3/8. That machine has square corners so the cabinet does too.
The bed size of my 117.740 is 15 x 7. That machine has rounded corners so the cabinet does too.

I'd recommend that you measure your machine and take a tape measure with you when you are cabinet shopping.

Can you post the measurements of your Singer? I'd be curious what they are. I only have my Kenmores.
It has a black space bar that goes with it which the cord goes through.The hole for the machine measures 16 5/8'' X 7 1/8'' deep with the black spacer bar. Without the black spacer bar it measures 14 7/8'' X 7 1/8''.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Your singer would possibly fit into both of these openings - provided the wider one has a big enough lip so the machine does not fall through.

Newer machines often will fit into the space the older machine + lift fit into. The main hting - the spacing for the hinges is the same for most Singers. And since the hinges are what support the back side of the machine, you do need them even if you don't intend to tip the machine down to store.

I know a 201 will fit into a cabinet that a 400 and 500 series Singer fits in, but on a lot of newer Singers, they went into cabinets that had a board the machine sat on. However those machines have a built in base so they will sit on their own. If they tip, there was a clamp to hold the machine base to the board, and the board tips, there are no hinges. So a 201 will fit - if you make a base for it to sit on.

You really need to eyeball the specific cabinet to know if it will fit if it is not an older Singer cabinet. Sometiems you may need to modify an older cabinet as the back end of the 201 extends farther because of the potted motor. I had one and the flywheel was hitting the support for the front flap and would not lower into the cabinet. On others, I've had to change where the back support block is, this is what the machine rests against when fully lowered. Some cabinets have them, some do not.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 AM

Gosh, this is all way more confusing than I thought. I'm glad I'm happy with my current cabinets and hope they never break!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Understand - I found out a lot of interesting things when I started swapping my machines around. Basically, the older ones with external motors are pretty interchangeable, but when Singer went to potted and internal motors, things changed a bit.

I've got a shed full of "extra" cabinets now.l I love them but only have so much room.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Just sent you a PM