Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fixing light switch on Singer 99 >

Fixing light switch on Singer 99

Fixing light switch on Singer 99

Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Question Fixing light switch on Singer 99

I have almost finished removing three layers of masking from the bed of my machine (Hip Hip Hooray!) Question now is the light fixture. (Original I think) Turn switch rotates freely, but light will only stay on if I somehow get the knob turned half way. If it makes the full click, it turns off. I hate to be stuck in a half on/half off position, is there a repair kit for this?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM

joobee,

There is several lights,but if your's is the one with the knob on top and the removable light shade then inside there will be two metal contacts. They are greased from the factory, and after years of use sometimes get gummed up and can even bend till they don't make proper contact.
You have to disassemble the light fixture and carefully clean it, then gently bend the little contacts back where they make proper contact.
There is no "kit" that I know of to fix them.

Joe
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Seems to be a bakelite casing. All one piece with a light in it that seems to bubble out the end. (Looks like a miniature pot light) Shade in not detatchable, light probably inserted and twisted in?

This pic from the internet looks very much like the one I have.
Attached Thumbnails shopping.jpg  

Last edited by joobee; 02-25-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM

OK, That one is fairly simple internally. But to get it apart you have to remove two split spring rings, one at the front and one at the rear. Then it splits in half long ways.
The fish eye lens sits over a wavy spring. It should just push in and rotate a bit then come out. But they don't always do that. Sometimes they just get stuck then you have to take the housing apart and then remove it. I suspect that's why I've seen so many with out the lens.

Joe
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM

I have a Singer 99K and was wondering about the light! I've printed this post and now I can try to get mine to work also! Thank you! (I bought the machine for $40 on an auction; it did come with another light that clips on and plugs in separately, but why have extra cord in the way if not needed? Wish me luck!)