FMQ 1930 Singer 66 problem

Old 01-18-2015, 06:44 AM

I just checked the bottom tension and it seems fine. Last night I decided to try a metal bobbin. I had been using plastic because on my previous project the metal was making a lot of noise and something didn't seem right. When i switched to metal I started FMQ and the problem happened pretty much right away. I started up again after rethreading and it almost stopped happening! At that same time I threaded through that hole so I'm not sure if it was threading through the hole or the metal bobbin that fixed the problem. I hesitate to say fixed, because it still happens occasionally but before it would happen every minute or so and now it's happening about every 10 minutes so I can get a lot more done.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:00 AM

I didn't read all of page 1, but I think you're running into the thread path problems that many have noted about the 66's and other horizontal drop in bobbin machines. The thread has to make a 90° turn in path from the needle around the bobbin and back.

Also not all bobbins are created equal. There is a lot of variation in the Class 66 bobbins. The two I find the best are the current ones Sew-Classic sells and the original vintage Singers. The plastic ones were not meant for the 66s as they came about much later. They'll work, but not always as good. They don't weigh the same and sometimes you'll have sharp edges or a wear factor.

Hopefully you've got it squared away.

Joe
Old 01-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Sadly I also was having issues at one time. I had put the needle in backwards.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by neece View Post
Sadly I also was having issues at one time. I had put the needle in backwards.
When I googled that was one of the things that came up so I checked and had it in correctly and then tried 3 or 4 more brand new needles and it still happened. Good suggestion!