Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
foot for 15 91 singer... Help please >

foot for 15 91 singer... Help please

foot for 15 91 singer... Help please

Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM

Red face foot for 15 91 singer... Help please

I have a 15 91 singer and would like to do some FMQ with it, what kind of foot do I need for this, does anyone know where I could buy a foot to do FMQ.. what setting do you put this machine on when you FMQ.. as you can tell this machine is all new to me... I did figure out how to drop the feed dogs so that part I got right now if I could figure out what foot to use and the setting I think I would be good to go.. Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM

I also have a 15-91. I have purchased parts, including more than one type of quilting foot, from Sew Classic. Check to her website at www.sewclassic.com. Prices and shipping costs are very reasonable.

Do you have a manual? You can download it from the Singer website free. Since you're controlling the stitch length by your own hands and not relying on the feed dogs, it really doesn't matter what stitch length you select.

I too am just getting into using my machine for fmq. I have tried thread painting and am succeeding by using a light weight bobbin thread and an embroidery hoop.

Let's keep practicing and maybe we'll meet up at Carnegie Hall....

Cheryl
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM

You'll want a darning/free motion Low Shank foot. Several different ones can be found at Sew Classic on this page: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shank-Feet_c5.htm

I have a few versions and haven't noticed a significant difference in them. However, if you plan to outline things, you might find it helpful to have a clear foot that is marked like this one: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...D-SCF60410.htm

If your foot controller is one of the old button types you might find it gets hot after a period of continuous use. Stop and let it cool off a bit if it gets too hot. They're not designed to work constantly. If needed, you can switch out the foot controller later for an electronic one.

I haven't had to make many changes to machine settings on several different machines I've used. The old machines are pretty basic. You can test tension on sample pieces with a different color thread in needle than bobbin on a sandwich just as you normally would. If you don't have a manual for your machine, you can download one free here: http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...54a175ca4c.pdf

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM

Thank you so much, I will go to that site and see if I can get a darning foot... I am so happy to find out that my machine uses a low shank foot, I didn't know that ..thank you so much