Foot control getting hot

Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Thank you Cathy and Joe. Cathy, I'll take a look at the pedal you mentioned. Joe the weird thing is this controller is super clean. You would never guess it was old at all. The wires inside are clean and new looking, no discoloration, everything looks firmly attached, no dirt-nothing. I cut a piece of plywood to go under it to ease my mind of singing the carpet and I'll play with the machine more tomorrow. Maybe it wasn't as hot as I thought? My nose is ultra sensitive so any smell even dust burning off I would notice and I had a migraine so I would have been extra sensitive to it.

If I still notice it tomorrow I will order an electronic controller for it.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 AM

I had the same problem with my White but the metal controller had a carbon pile. It went from becoming very warm to hearing snap, crackle, pop, sizzle. Even after cleaning the carbon disks which were clean for the most part, it wasn't as warm but I could still here some popping. I wanted to keep it original but it was worth the peace of mind to change it. I'm loving the electronic controller, it's so much more responsive and no heating up.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM

I've got this problem with a Viking 6460 circa 1977 model. I've searched everywhere for a new foot pedal but have been told there are none that are compatible. It's sad because otherwise the machine is in great shape and sews beautifully. How do you know if an electronic foot pedal is compatible?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I've got this problem with a Viking 6460 circa 1977 model. I've searched everywhere for a new foot pedal but have been told there are none that are compatible. It's sad because otherwise the machine is in great shape and sews beautifully. How do you know if an electronic foot pedal is compatible?
I read on the Sew Classic site that an electronic foot pedal is not for a computerized machine but I think you can use them with any basic all mechanical machine as long as it's rated high enough for your motor and you have the proper wires.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 PM

Joe and Macybaby are absolutely right. The solid state ones from Sew-Classic.com are the "bees knees", in other words very good. I bought one several years ago and have since retrofitted the fleet with them. They don't get hot, smell hot or burn anything. They are quiet and efficient. Cheap enough too. Best money I ever spent on a machine. Once you try them, you'll wonder why anyone puts up with those old ones at all.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
You've not noticed it with the Singers? I can only sew about 45 mn constant before they heat up too much for my foot. (I sew in stockings). But I am talking near constant sewing, like FMQ or satin stitching yards of ribbon on. That is why I had DH swap out the Singer for a new type on my 15, and why I have a different setup for my White (came with the same type).
I recently learned the hard way NOT to sew barefoot!!!

If I need to sew long and fast I use one of my machines that has an upgraded electronic controller. On one of the cabinets we purchased we had to replace the foot controller that was attached inside the cabinet for use with a knee lever.

When hubby removed it the wood was a nice dark burnt brown under it.....they get hot!!!