Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: foot controller for FW

Unhappy foot controller for FW

When I unplugged my FW the other day, I saw a spark from the foot controller. When I turned it over, there were 2 small burnt looking spots on the bottom. I hope I just need to replace the whole thing - plug and all. Any suggestions on what to do?

Blog Entries
    I would buy a new foot pedal - but I am neurotic about stuff like that. Just not worth taking a chance.

I do not know enough about the FW's to tell you what to do or how, but ANYTIME electrical devices spark or overheat, they should be taken out of service until the issue is resolved.

I will do some research, but if you can post a pic or two it would help.

Sew Classic sells resistance and electronic foot controllers and wiring for Featherweights. More than likely you just need a new controller. "Generally" they can be adjusted, but if they are sparking there is a short somewhere and that must be rectified before using it again.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
    When I unplugged my FW the other day, I saw a spark from the foot controller. When I turned it over, there were 2 small burnt looking spots on the bottom. I hope I just need to replace the whole thing - plug and all. Any suggestions on what to do?
    You can buy a new foot controller with the 3 prong plug and cord etc at my website: www.thequiltgal.com. They are not expensive and it would be the easy safe fix to the problem.
    I hesitate suggesting you try to fix your controller since I do not know how mechanical you are and since you are dealing with electricity. Sounds to me like the problem is inside the foot controller and best to replace it.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Here is the photo of the foot controller.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com