Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found A National " Two Spool" in the middle of nowhere. >

Found A National " Two Spool" in the middle of nowhere.

Found A National " Two Spool" in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
Also as a real newbie to vintage machines, why is this one called a 2 spool? I only see one spool "spike" or what ever the thread holder is called. Thanks
You have to go back again and look at the pictures of the "can". That can is a "bobbin case" and held a small spool of thread. The pictures don't show the spool in the can, but it's in there. I can see the thread dangling. The ones I have usually held 125 yards. Most bobbins hold about 35 yards.

I have an Eldredge Two Spool that has been electrified. It came in a carry case, no cabinet. The foot control is very different. How I got it is interesting also.
I had been going to my "young sewing machine guy" for fixing some other machines, and he said he had something to show me. There was an Eldredge Two Spool. He said he had found it in their shed. Nobody seems to remember how it got in the shed, but they have moved to the new store not more than 10 years ago. His dad didn't know. Maybe they have to ask Grandpa.
It came with a spool made of plastic foam, as in packing material type white foam. But I have since found quite a few spools of wood. What I have thought about doing, was to find a person with a lathe and have them make a spool with a deeper inset, to hold more thread.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Mavita, the wooden spools I have for my National Two Spool (which is a treadle) are much deeper than a regular spool of thread. I've never checked out how many yards of thread the spools (2 or 3) that I have will hold. In this particular instance, I don't really care -- this machine is an "heirloom" machine as far as I am concerned because it was owned by my husband's great-grandmother. It's quite old (although I really don't know how old) and it will eventually belong to my son. It's "on loan" to me right now! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 PM

hello, i just purchased a national sewing machine model 400B.. they forgot the manual and are suppose to mail it. but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it? for some reason i cannot post a picture.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
........ What I have thought about doing, was to find a person with a lathe and have them make a spool with a deeper inset, to hold more thread.
I'm willing to try it. I just need the length and outside diameter of a spool that fits.
Rodney
Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Mavita, the wooden spools I have for my National Two Spool (which is a treadle) are much deeper than a regular spool of thread. I've never checked out how many yards of thread the spools (2 or 3) that I have will hold. In this particular instance, I don't really care -- this machine is an "heirloom" machine as far as I am concerned because it was owned by my husband's great-grandmother. It's quite old (although I really don't know how old) and it will eventually belong to my son. It's "on loan" to me right now! LOL!
Jeanette
Years ago - many years ago, all thread spools held much more thread. I have some large spools that hold 1000 yards. These old spools were not made special for the Two Spool. You could just buy a new spool and pop it into the can. I also have a spool winder on mine so I can wind it with whatever I want. The manual shows how to wind yarn on the spool and sew from the underside so the pattern comes out on top.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=dooder23;7253370]hello, i just purchased a national sewing machine model 400B.. they forgot the manual and are suppose to mail it. but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it? need to see how to oil and do maintenance.. thanks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524882[/ATTACH]
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Your attachment revealed Invalid attachment
Old 07-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Your attachment revealed Invalid attachment
Yea not sure why...and it will not let me upload one either
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 PM

Default oiling your machine

I will try on my end. Info from Needlebar.org
Attached Files
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'm willing to try it. I just need the length and outside diameter of a spool that fits.
Rodney
Rodney, you are really a Jack of all trades. And master of many. My post on this thread did not show up in my profile, so it took a while to find it again. Have fun trying to make the spool.