Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Foward and reverse tension differences in 3 machines >

Foward and reverse tension differences in 3 machines

Foward and reverse tension differences in 3 machines

Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 AM

Default Foward and reverse tension differences in 3 machines

Hello sewing machine nuts I'm having a lot of fun getting the machines, 7 now, going. 3 of those machines have the same prob of showing dramatically different thread tensions in foward vs. reverse. I get the foward stitching looking pretty good by testing and adjusting the upper and lower tensions then in reverse it all goes south, the top thread runs straight on top of the fabric with lower thread loops on top, the same prob on all 3 machines, no problems with the other 4 machines of similar pedigree. The prob machines are a 1960? very heavy Riccar straight and zz, it has push button reverse and a reverse hold feature; An '80s? Nelco model SZA-221 with push button reverse only, it has stitch length probs also; And a later model Phaff Hobby beginner model that would need an expert to run because the upper tension assembly is hidden, it has push lever reverse only. I've done a lot of reading and experimenting before bugging the folks on this forum. Any ideas? Thanks from San Diego.

Last edited by gtfd; 02-13-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

Try asking on the Victorian Sweat Shop forum. http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/?forum=501752

Cari
Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM

Aprils 1930 has a gadget for measuring tension. It only costs about $3 and is a tensionometer. I have one and use it to measure the amount of tension. Yes, different machines have different wear and tolerances so can be different numbers. Go by results and not numbers unless you use this gadget to conform all of them.