Franklin Treadle

Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Unhappy Franklin Treadle

I purchased this originally for the cabinet and was surprised to see a treadle machine inside. It has an instruction book, attachments, 2 bobbins, etc. Looking online I have discovered that of course it was sold by Sears Roebuck, but also that it was made by the Domestic Sewing Machine Co and is a copy of a Singer #27. This would date it somewhere between 1911 and 1923. The serial number is 247418 which told me nothing.

HELP - the machine won't stay up!!! I must be missing something .
Attached Thumbnails parlor-cabinet.jpg   door-open.jpg   pulled-up.jpg   machine.jpg   instruction-book.jpg  

looking-down.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

It looks like the lift cable is broken or not connected to the top of the cabinet lid.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 PM

Welcome! I love the flying pig.
Looks like Glenn has you covered. Gorgeous cabinet and the Scarab is one of my favorite decal patterns-actually I think it is my favorite of all the ones out there, at least until you start getting into the MOP machines. Free's Peacock pattern is right in there too. The original manual is a really happy bonus as well.
It would be a shame to break that set up and I hope you decide to keep it as a sewing machine, it's well worth the effort to repair it and put it back to work.
Take a look at the stickies on cleaning these old machines, it's worth the time to watch the videos too.
If you've never sewn on a treadle before, it's surprisingly easy and it's fun!
Rodney
Old 10-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for replying. I do want to make it work. I would really like to try sewing on a treadle. What is the "lift cable" and how does it work?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:31 PM

the 2nd pic shows what looks like the end of the cable.

the 3rd show the roller and hole where it comes up.

to the left it show a groove cut in the top, this counties to the lid. at the end of the groove, should be a screw/ pin the cable hooks to.

what happens is the lid pulls the machine up as you open the cabinet .

I would use a good nylon or ?? a string you trust. install that in place of the cable .

Do this with no machine in the cabinet. open and close. adjust the string ( or buy small cable) length until it works just perfect.

then measure the string for length. start calling place that may like hobbies stores, clubs that deal with hang gliding , home built aircraft, maybe a bicycle shop ( great place for cable stuff ) that caters to custom bikes. even an electrical supplier / repair guy.

your looking for someone that has some type of hi pressure crimper
Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Beautiful machine and cabinet. I hope you get it working and that you really enjoy using it. (I haven't treadled once in my entire life. At least, not knowingly.)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM

I have one of those too. The lift mechanism uses a chain, not a cable. Here's a pic of mine and if you look close you can see that it's a chain.

Considering the weight of the machine, close to 30 pounds and then add the section it sits in and you're lifting over 40 pounds. I doubt that a nylon or cord would hold or even work. You might could fabricate an actual braided cable for it, but I wouldn't use anything less.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 18a-franklin-1911.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 AM

Joe and everyone else. Thanks for the tips. Joe - I can't see how the chain is attached to the lid. I assume that is your cat's tail where it attaches?? Tried to put in a similey face but page not cooperating. I can't wait to fix this.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 AM

That’s a cat’s tail???.....Oh whew!!....I thought it was a really big caterpillar.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-29-2014, 06:14 AM

This looks most like my New Queen (White VS). If you notice, your machine tips back and Joe's machine tips forward. (ok - I'm assuming that because his fold is in the front and yours is in the back like mine)

I have other forward tipping machines that also use a chain, but my New Queen uses a cable. I'll take pictures for you. BTW - I think I have another White cabinet in the shed with the same hardware, if you are missing something other than the cable.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-29-2014 at 06:32 AM.