Freds stash

Old 01-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Fred's collection is why I need to thin my herd. My spring project continuing for who knows how long until I get down to my acceptable amount. Just don't know where I'll begin.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

I remember the Toyota treadle, very cool. What a great find. Sammie posted pics of her Brother treadle on the same group back in September I think. You should check it out, it's a very cool cabinet. The treadle flips up out of the way when you want to go electric. There's a gal in Texas that has one too that I know of.

I know what you mean about Freds place. I was at a hoarders house once that was like that, only worse. They ended up bulldozing the house with everything still in it.

Cari
Old 01-12-2015, 04:18 AM

This is why I'm trying very hard that my collection has a reason and a purpose. It's not just a collection of machines I find where ever. It's too easy to buy them because they are cheap - but then you end up will all sorts of junk.

I won't worry about my collection once I have it in the Machine Shed, organized and displayed. It's been fun collecting, but I'm moving on to a different phase - I really want to learn to use all the neat attachments. This board is dangerous because we really do encourage each other in the acquisition phase.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 AM

I can't help but feel a little sad about this situation. Poor Fred being unable to let go caused him more suffering. There have been several machines that I've come across but have left for someone else. I do not want the collection to be a burden or to someone else if I can no longer use them. I really should give this some thought.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 AM

I already have too many old machines. Four of them were given to me within a few months. But my plan is to donate them (or at least some of them) to the Sewing Machine Project. I think they are headquartered in Madison, WI. They take machines that work and send them to places that need them. After Katrina, they took thousands of machines to Louisiana. There are still some going there.
They take any age machine; old or new, but it has to work. And books and attachments are nice, too.

My Delta Rotary seems to work, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to thread it. If I get a book, I hope I will learn how, but I can't send something like that without directions for threading.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM

I feel sorry for hoarders. I have a friend who lives in a house that is about $400,000 and there is a path through the whole house. Her neighbors hate her because her drive way and porch are full, looks awful. She is always buying and has about 15 storage units full. Can't even enjoy anything she has. This lady was a major hoarder too.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Here is a link to the Sewing Machine Project: Sewing Machine Project, Margaret Jankowski, New Orleans, Sri Lanka, Hurricane Katrina, Lake Edge Lutheran Church

and: http://host.madison.com/news/local/sewing-machine-project-a-success-around-the-world/article_bec34bbe-3b45-11e2-b1a7-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz3OcihxVq8

It looks like all of these links end up at the same place if you look for it on each site.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-12-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Has anyone ever was the American Pickers? Frank and Mike are always coming across people who collect lots and lots of things. In barns, out buildings or just setting out in the weather. Rare metal signs things, are not worth as much as if they were kept inside.
Funny how old people, some in their 80s don't want to let go of their 'stuff'. Like they are going to live forever. Some have lots of 'stuff' they plan on fixing up.
Does seem to me the machines and cabinets would not be worth much if they are rust, swollen and wet.
I have thought of what I will/can do with my collections, kids and Grands don't want them. Guess I will leave them up to be disposed of however the kids want to.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Jingle has a point. I have promised my girls that if I had the time before my death I would destash my machines at least and work on the fabric BUT only if I had the time. The conversation came about because of my DMIL's sudden death 2 years ago. I hope to have that time. I hope to use up my stash and make tons of quilts.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM

It is sad to see someone collect so much "stuff", whether it be sewing machines or whatever. My almost-88 year-old aunt was definitely a "hoarder". My son and I emptied out her house when the property was sold. I thought it was going to literally kill me -- it hadn't been that long since I'd had back surgery, so it was touch and go for a while. I know one thing, I won't do that again -- it's not worth the pain. We took probably 200 pounds (I couldn't begin to guess the yardage) of double-knit fabric -- and it wasn't in bad shape either. She had three sewing machines-- (1) the National Two Spool; (2) and (3) a couple of Dial 'N Sew, one in a cabinet, another in a box. I gave one away -- the things weigh a ton. She had tons of ceramic stuff she had done -- and quilt blocks -- some of which I have put to use. I made a quilt (the top is done) for my son -- these are hand-embroidered state flower blocks. I bought material for the sashing and border a year and a half to two years ago -- then, tragedy struck because there wasn't enough of the fabric. I lucked out -- I went to the local JoAnn's Fabrics and they had the fabric I was using -- I bought 3 yards without blinking an eye -- also lucky- - it was 40% off! My SIL thinks anything my aunt had was "junk" and told me to throw away the quilt blocks, throw away the double-knit (which is very nice for hand applique since it doesn't ravel) and I not-so-politely refused. The quilt blocks were given to my cousin who has a quilt shop in Oklahoma so that nothing is wasted. My aunt is really pitiful -- she just didn't want any of her stuff sold at Salvation Army or Goodwill! Enough of that -- it gets depressing! What is also depressing is that I can't type correctly and my spelling gets really bad (due to the typo's)! This too shall pass! LOL

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 01-12-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typographical error