Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Free motion quilting on a 301

Blog Entries

Free motion quilting on a 301

I have been trying to free motion quilt on my Janome 63??? and am getting very frustrated. Sure it is me, as a friend does it on hers all the time without the problems. At any rate, I am dying to try it on my vintage girls and have read on here that the 301 does a nice job. I do not have a hopping foot for this machine. I am wondering if I can get one, and where. Also, any tips on this endeavor before I get started would be greatly appreciated. I get frustrated easily, so my biggest battle is with myself!! TIA Onalee Rose
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I FMQ on my 301's all the time, but I do get skipped stitches. So, I find that the best way for me to do it, is put the pedal to the metal and stitch at top speed. I get very small stitches that way, but no skipping. You can get the foot from Sew Classic.

Blog Entries
    I paid more for my foot from april1930sshoppe, but I love it. AnnieRose FMQs without any problem. I just did a 80 by 84 lap quilt without one loop, pucker or anything. I know that's a big lap quilt, but it just keep growing. It was fun thread painting the animals in the quilt. I'm thinking it was $18.95 with free shipping for the foot. Today AnnieRose has a Spicy Spiral table runner on board.

Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    I am dying to try it on my vintage girls and have read on here that the 301 does a nice job. I do not have a hopping foot for this machine.
    How does the hopping foot work? Is it the same as a darning foot? Have you seen Dave McCallum's short video of doing free motion with a Featherweight? Here is the link...they are using a hopping foot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3UK...layer_embedded
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I paid more for my foot from april1930sshoppe, but I love it. AnnieRose FMQs without any problem. I just did a 80 by 84 lap quilt without one loop, pucker or anything. I know that's a big lap quilt, but it just keep growing. It was fun thread painting the animals in the quilt. I'm thinking it was $18.95 with free shipping for the foot. Today AnnieRose has a Spicy Spiral table runner on board.
    I would say that's close to a queen size lap quilt!! LOL I haven't tried FMQ on my Ida yet. Maybe this Spring I'll get around to it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you guys. I ordered the foot from Sew Classic. Of course that's not all I ordered. LOL. Thanks for the youtube video. I like to see that stuff, but my internet at home does not allow it. Too slow. Once I get proficient with the free motion, I want to do some thread painting.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."