Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Free No. 5 - Needles, Shuttles and Feet (Oh, My) >

The Free No. 5 - Needles, Shuttles and Feet (Oh, My)

The Free No. 5 - Needles, Shuttles and Feet (Oh, My)

Old 03-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Default The Free No. 5 - Needles, Shuttles and Feet (Oh, My)

Wow, I have been searching the web for information on The Free No. 5 treadle and there is precious little information out there. It is in very good condition, and it has one shuttle and 4 bobbins, but no needles. I am not sure what accessories to buy and I don't want to mess it up by using the wrong parts. Are there any other machines that have parts that are interchangeable? I would love to have all the feet and the tucker and ruffler, but that may be just a dream.

I have big plans for this machine. My MIL gave me several quilt tops that she inherited from her mother and I would love to quilt them on this machine!

I have not done anything to it, but when you turn the wheel is is so smooth and very quiet. I see that there are threads for cleaning etc. and I will follow those, but if there is anyone with information regarding spare parts, shuttles, feet, bobbins and what needles to use I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t241536.html

This is a link I found by searching for free no. 5. It lists your shuttles and such to get your started.

Roger
Old 03-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned

I suggest doing a search HERE for "Free No 5". I've seen it a lot in discussion.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 AM

From what I've gathered (and could be wrong) #5 is a Model C series machine.

I'm pretty sure this one takes the same needles and shuttle as the Singer - so very easy to find.

Feet are different - it takes the older style "Free" top clamp, so you have to watch for that. However they are not uncommon - just that most sellers don't have a clue what they have so they aren't listed as for the "free". And if they are, chances are it's the newer style and won't fit.

Free also "branded" machines, so there are a lot of models out there with other names on them.

When you look for attachments, look for a black metal box that says "attachments" on the front. There are ones out there with "Free" on them, but they are much less common.

Free takes a narrow gap foot - but specifically what you want to look for is the long plate with a circle cutout that is WIDE.

I'll post pictures - or you can PM me. I may have an extra set in my stash (I've got boxes of extras) and I can easily toss in a shuttle and some bobbins. This style is one I have lots and lots of extras.

If possible, please post a picture.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM

here is what a set that fits the Free look like

and the boxes

This is a set that fits New Home - notice how much narrower the slide plates are.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:22 AM
pw6

my goodness one gould get lost in all these old machines, what fun,, one day I hope to be able to buy myself a treadle machine
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Wow, I love them. How in the world do you use them? Are there videos or instruction manuals somewhere?[ATTACH=CONFIG]465355[/ATTACH]
The plates are about 1 5/8" wide. I PM'd you, but I just figured out how to insert a pict!

Regards
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails side-view-foot-attachment-small.jpg  

Last edited by sandy.smith; 03-02-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I do love these old machines too. I found mine and the lady wanted $250 and I talked her into $150. I am hoping I can quilt on it since the throats are so roomy. I guess I will find out.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM

I just bought a Free No. 5 treadle for $25. I cleaned it up and out it all back together, but cannot get it to sew. It's threaded, and the needle pierces the fabric, but the threads aren't catching the fabric. Any help!?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Banned

needle direction or height, or shuttle not threaded correctly would be my guess.