FROZEN NEEDLE BAR ON MY 99k

Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 AM

Default FROZEN NEEDLE BAR ON MY 99k

I bought a singer 99K sewing machine at a auction this week end. The machine was in its original case. It looked like a mouse had made a nest in side the case at some time and the bottom part of the case will need to be completely redone. It looked like it might have been stored in the garage. But the paint on the machine is very nice. My problem is the needle bar won't move. I have already cleaned the bobbin area and oiled it. I have also took off the plate on the side where the needle bar goes into and cleaned and oiled all the areas there. I turned the machine upside down and oiled every moving joint there. I also oiled up into the area of the fly wheel. Then I let it set all night. But still it is frozen. I used sewing machine oil to do the oiling. Would appreciate any ideas on what to do next. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench, heat from a hair drier, "gentle" tapping to vibrate the bar so the penetrating oil can get between the bar and housing. And patience. Rust is a pain in the butt and with mice in the mix that could be it.

Joe
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the information. With my dear Husbands help. We now have it running.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandmahoney View Post
Thanks for the information. With my dear Husbands help. We now have it running.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it unstuck? I have a Spartan 192k, which is the same as a 99k, but without the bells and whistles. Anyway, it moves, but I am adjusting my timing and need to move that bar up a tad for it to catch the bobbin thread and it will not budge. Any help you may be able to provide would be awesome.
Thanks, Pam
Old 08-23-2020, 06:10 AM

Hi Pam. Welcome to the board.

2 things.. 1. This thread was last used on 2013. Granmahoney last posted almost a year ago. She may not see your request.

2.The timing rarely goes bad on 99s or Spartans. Please make sure you have the right needle , bobbin and that the needle is mounted correctly and the threading is all OK before you blame timing. Good luck.