Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FW & Free-Motion Quilting

FW & Free-Motion Quilting

I have a "new to me" featherweight, Gussie, and am wondering about using her for FMQing. I haven't tried it out yet, other than some basic stitching, but i've seen a number of comments here where people have ooh'd and aah'd over the FMQing on a 15-91. I bought a 15-91 that i cleaned up and it's working, but i'm nervous about its electrical and want to have it replaced before i use it much.

Is the FW good for FMQ? Any tips? Or should i use the FW for piecing and get the 15-91 working for FMQ?

Do you cover the feed dogs with something? In the past, I've used my Rocketeer 503a for FMQ and its feed dogs drop.

It can be done, even on the 221:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3UKFWtkIc

I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet on the 222.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

I've done FMQ on my little FW, Sally with no problem. Only reason I even tried was because my 8 yr old grandson was doing something close to FMQ when I turned my back on him during our sewing session
    Feed dogs up & no special adjustments. Later I tried & Sally purred right along. Haven't done it long term since I have a Janome I prefer for FMQ
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

The size of the throat is a big negative for FMQing with a FW. There are just so many better machines for it. For a small, small project it's fine, but try shoving a king size quilt through that throat and you'll probably lose the machine off the table;> Vintage machines are relatively inexpensive. Buy one with a much larger throat for FMQing and you will be so much happier!

thanks for the link. looks like fun but I haven't tired it---not brave enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    It can be done, even on the 221:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3UKFWtkIc

I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet on the 222.

FW free motion quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by harrishs View Post
    thanks for the link. looks like fun but I haven't tired it---not brave enough, I guess.
    Someone gave a link to a site which showed a Hopping foot/hopper foot? I think it was a Leah Day tutorial. This not much help I know but maybe you can get more advice from the great women on this Quilting board.

Yes you CAN do it! Free Motion on a Featherweight

I do most of my FMQ on my Featherweight without any problems. I use a Darning or FMQ foot (looks like a C in plastic or metal) which can be found online or at specialty stores (as long as it is a straight shank)
    VickyS

I have quilted up to queen size quilts on the machine. The bigger the quilt, the more you have to pay attention to how you FMQ your pattern. Many times you will have to Stitch in the Ditch the overall quilt sandwich first in order to get the quilt stabilized enough for you to work on the more intricate parts of the quilt.
    There are a bunch of different ways to handle the small throat.
    • You can do a "Quilt as you go" process.
    • You can leave the back and top in one piece, but cut up the batting into strips, then quilt one strip down at a time - adding strips from the center. This reduces the amount of material under the throat.
    • You can spray baste then Stitch in the ditch the quilt into sections and quilt each section individually.

I do the 3rd process as I like the look of an overall FMQ (compared to a FMQ which is in sections).

Best way to do it - start with a small project (like a panel with borders). Copy the design on the panel with your FMQ. Once you get the feel for how to work with the machine, try tracing pens or pounce pads on a lap quilt. Then when you feel more confident, graduate to the more intricate work.

It can be done. It is fun, and does not require investing in an expensive machine.
    VickyS

Blog Entries
    I have made all my quilts on my FW. I use the plastic C shaped darning foot and it works fine.
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
    There are a bunch of different ways to handle the small throat.
    • You can do a "Quilt as you go" process.
    • You can leave the back and top in one piece, but cut up the batting into strips, then quilt one strip down at a time - adding strips from the center. This reduces the amount of material under the throat.
    • You can spray baste then Stitch in the ditch the quilt into sections and quilt each section individually.

There's another way too.

A friend told me about this when she came back from an FMQ class.
    Turn your machine 90 degrees.
    Face the nose of it.
    FMQ that way. Harp space is less of an issue.

Like having it on a Flynn frame, but not.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast