FW seam guide

Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
I love sewing on my Featherweight but I am having a heck of a time getting a quarter inch seam. I bought the Alphasew 1/4" foot with guide but it wobbles too much to get a good seam allowance. Someone told me to try the seam guide that came with the FW so I bought one of those and found out that I cannot screw it into the bed of the machine because the hole is stripped. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix that? If I used a bigger screw would it ruin the bed of the machine?

Thanks in advance.
I bought a 1/4 FOOT AT MY QUILT SHOP . IT SEWS PERFECT 1/4 inch seams It's called little foot for FW's. Goes on in place of regular foot. They have them for short an long shank machines. works great
Old 01-23-2015, 02:27 PM

I just use a pad of sticky notes...besides if you need to jot down something important...you don't need to locate paper.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM

How do you know if the screw is the right one?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to try some of them until I can straighten this out.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 AM

But a new needle plate with the guide marks on it. Easily found on the internet.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM

I just bought some adhesive seam-guide stickers from Sew Classic. I'm going to adhere them to my unmarked FW needle plates. There are 5 for $1.29. Thought it would be worth a shot, since I paid $40 for a vintage marked needle plate and have two more FWs that need markings! If you type "sew classic adhesive stickers" into Google, it should come up.
Ila
p.s. I have no connection to Sew Classic other than being a first-time customer.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM

Ila,

I'm a many time Sew-Classic customer. Good place to spend much money.

I bought some of those stick on graduated stickers, put one on my HOTHER machine (avatar pic) and found it all but useless for me.
Even with the graduated marks I could not keep the seams straight. Also after a while the fabric began to curl the sticker at the leading edge.

So I went back to the screw on fabric guides. Those stickers are a waste of money in my opinion. Of course YMMV.

Joe
Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I bought some of those stick on graduated stickers, put one on my HOTHER machine (avatar pic) and found it all but useless for me...Also after a while the fabric began to curl the sticker at the leading edge.
Same for me. So I made some magnetized wood blocks.

Last edited by Vridar; 01-30-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:22 AM

I never could keep a straight seam using the etched/printed seam guides on any sewing machine. I prefer the magnetized ones or screw on type.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I never could keep a straight seam using the etched/printed seam guides on any sewing machine. I prefer the magnetized ones or screw on type.
It's especially hard to keep a straight seam if you have a machine that twists the fabric. With the screw on guide you can keep the fabric against the guide and get a good seam.

Joe
Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the stickers, everyone! I needed a brush cap for my FW so I added on the stickers anyway, and I'll see if/how they work for me.
I also bought a clear plastic seam guide that screws onto the bed and goes all the way from the front edge to the back. I bought it from an online site called Suncatcher. Theirs was less expensive than Nova Montgomery's, which I'm sure is good, too. I'm going to try to put on the sticker, then align the seam guide, and see how that works.
Always fiddling,
Ila