Getting Excited!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Because Joe, this is a quilting board not an appraisal site. No sewing machine forum or group I belong to allows price guessing. And that's all that it is, is guessing. My knickers aren't in a bunch, thank you very much. :> As for searching, you just click on the Advanced search button and enter the topic you're interested in. Easy Peasy. Lots of info out there that folks have spent a lot of time posting and compiling. I've learned quite a lot from just reading past postings on subjects. I was and am trying to be helpful by trying to show others how to use the tools I do, to educate myself and learn about a topic.
I find the crazy sewing machine market fascinating though I'd hate to put off or offend others with it. However, I've always enjoyed the "Antiques Roadshow" so perhaps this is why. Seems OK as long as were not inundated with people wanting guesses and it's not against the rules, IMHO.

Jon
Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess when I was asking about price, is wasn't directed towards worth or value, or some type of appraisal. I don't really have any intention of selling my finds, unless it's a means to make room for something I want more. With prices all over the board, I guess I was just looking to get opinions on if that seems relatively high, also stating that I know price is relative to the area. I mean, some of you know, regardless of where you live, some prices are laughable.

Like I said, I'm moving in from the computerized world, and I am, I must admit, completely clueless on what seems like a good/fair deal. I guess there's a fine line there... at least to me. Why asking about it ruffles feathers, I don't know, but I'll keep it in mind. At the same time, I understand how a newbie such as myself can seem overly annoying, but leaving a snarky comment is enough to turn people away. Which I'm sure is not what the creators of this site would want. Then again, maybe I just misunderstood the tone of the post. I know that sometimes it's easy to read a post wrong, and other times, people don't see that their post comes across as abrasive.

To clarify, I do search for answers on machines I want, but no matter where I look, one person loves it, another thinks it's ok, or someone outright doesn't care for it. It's confusing, so hearing from a live person, who's willing to share their experiences, and allows me to pick their brain for a little more in depth knowledge just seems invaluable to me, and seems like it's maybe one of the reasons for a site like this. Although, I could be wrong.

I understand that many of you have had to learn via trial and error, have encountered times when you passed up something you wish you would've bought, or even bought something you wished you would've passed on. Sharing those experiences, as least to me, seems like a good idea. I know I'm willing to share my experiences, only because I hope people don't end up making the same mistakes I have.

Regardless, we all are on here for our love of the old machines, and for sewing. I can't promise not to venture into a taboo area again, because I'll likely do it, mistakenly, just as I have here. I apologize for my error, and I once again, thank everyone, even those whom I may disagree with, for their time to post and share their comments.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
I apologize for my error, and I once again, thank everyone, even those whom I may disagree with, for their time to post and share their comments.
you don't have to apologize as you have not erred. i hope you will keep on asking and keep on being a member of this forum. we're here and i am here to help you in any way we/i can. be it price, cleaning, or anything related to antique sewing machines (as what this section of quilting board is) but only to the extend of my knowledge as i don't want to give the wrong advise. but hey, i just find out that i am now a senior member.

did you get the 301 ? we would love to see pictures of your new sewing machines. cheers.....
Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 PM

I did not get the 301. I picked up a 99k instead, for what I thought was a deal (25 bucks), along with my Two Spool.

As for posting, I will continue to post, and will continue to be a member, I just get so much valuable info on here, and am meeting so many nice people that I can't stop now, LOL. Everyone's input is valuable to me, even if it just makes me take a new look at things from another angle.

Thank you for the support, I really do appreciate it!

....and a HUGE congrats on your "senior" status, LOL!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM

At the same time, I understand how a newbie such as myself can seem overly annoying, but leaving a snarky comment is enough to turn people away. Which I'm sure is not what the creators of this site would want. Then again, maybe I just misunderstood the tone of the post. I know that sometimes it's easy to read a post wrong, and other times, people don't see that their post comes across as abrasive.
My intention was not to be snarky, but I'm a concise and quick poster. It can probably be interpreted at being blunt or rude. I will try to re-read my postings to be more aware of this. Thanks.

Last edited by Candace; 01-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 AM

I, too, have been wondering why it is inappropriate to ask more experienced people their opinions/advise regarding the price of a machine. Not asking for for appraisals, just guidance! Some of the responses not only in this thread, but others, also have made me "gun shy" about asking anything for fear of being shot down. Can't we all just get along? I so value all of your opinions and advice and learn so much from reading all your posts!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 AM

I did not get the 301. I picked up a 99k instead, for what I thought was a deal (25 bucks), along with my Two Spool.

As for posting, I will continue to post, and will continue to be a member, I just get so much valuable info on here, and am meeting so many nice people that I can't stop now, LOL. Everyone's input is valuable to me, even if it just makes me take a new look at things from another angle.

When you do find a 301 you will fall in love. I have 4 and 1 for parts. They are wonderful machines and come in a wide range of prices and condition. Always ask to see a sample of the sewing stitch, or sew on it yourself, if possible. I learned the hard way on an eBay purchase and had to learn how to set the timing. Happy hunting!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 PM

You're welcome. dont worry you'll find way better deal than that. I have a 99 also and mine is the limited aluminum body. I love mine as it's lighter than the regular 99. That's a great machine. You did good for $25. It's a deal. I hope being a senior member comes with some perks here
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM

301s are getting pricier but can still be found for decent prices. If it was in a desirable cabinet, I might have bit the bullet and bought her but a 99 K is a very nice machine too. Congrats on your 2 spools. I have one and love it.

Chris
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM

I found an old machine in a junk/thrift shop and went to the counter to ask the price. I was thinking $5. The guy turned to his computer, googled it, then quoted a price for a clean, working machine. No, I would rather not be a resource for those folks. Though I will happily tell you what I paid for mine.