Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Given a twenty years out in the barn machine >

Given a twenty years out in the barn machine

Given a twenty years out in the barn machine

Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Default Given a twenty years out in the barn machine

This past week I drove up to Weed California with my auntie where they had a devastating fire. I grew up in Weed and wanted to do something to help. I took up 10 vintage sewing machines that I had cleaned and hubby replaced the electrical on the ones that needed it. Two were adopted right away while we were still getting ready to unload the truck.

That was a good trip and as a bonus hubby and I were able to clean, rearrange and inventory our cargo trailer where we keep all of the machines and tables. We had been waiting for cooler weather to do that as it is too hot here in the summer. I had some machines I forgot about, some were sympathy machines that I just couldn't leave where they were. I had to save them. At least they would have a nice dry trailer and be in line for inspection sometime in the future.

One of the people in Weed went out to the barn and brought me a machine that had been out there for at least 20 years. Poor little girl. He asked me if I wanted her. Sure. She was covered in grimy dirt and rusted but she did have a neat attachment I haven't seen before. I looked around on the internet and am thinking it might be a blind hemmer? Made in West Germany and it is very heavy. My hubby flipped the thingamajig over and got the spring on it working. I was wondering if it is a blind hemmer and if all of the parts are there?

I tried to find a video clip on how to attach this kind and use it but couldn't find one. I love the neat toes on the foot and the bottom of it is deeply grooved. Here are some pics. The machine was a Montgomery Wards 15 clone. The attachment appears to be for a slant machine though. It has been cleaned up and I thought it was older but since it is for a slant machine must not be that old?
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails img_6004.jpg   img_6003.jpg   img_6002.jpg   img_6005.jpg   img_6009.jpg  

img_6010.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 PM

I don't know what it is either but I do know how attachments work. German slants were made from 1960 to about 1966 I believe. 401g, 411g and 431g spring to mind. I added some text to one of your photos:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498550[/ATTACH]
Let us know what it does.
Attached Thumbnails mystery_attachment.jpg   mystery_attachment.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Neat attachment!
Rodney

EDIT: Mike already supplied the answers to my questions while I was typing.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info Mike, appreciate the answers and the added text. It is a newer than I thought. Rodney, I think it is pretty cool too. Hope to figure out exactly what it is ....
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Remember I said how heavy it was? I found this blog and think this is what my attachment is made for. Very interesting. I wondered what the screw adjustment on the back was for... It still might be for something else but this sounds right.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...-foot-revealed
Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Remember I said how heavy it was? I found this blog and think this is what my attachment is made for. Very interesting. I wondered what the screw adjustment on the back was for... It still might be for something else but this sounds right.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...-foot-revealed
That would make it rare and very useful too. Well done
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

I suggest a view here http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bigatts.html
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 AM

So, do you think a buttonholer foot could be used just for zigzagging?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM

I have a Buttonholer and a Zigzagger for my 301. The buttonholer is like the one shown, with the red pebble case, but I don't see the zigzagger that I have. It has a black case with 8 red cams for different stitches. I have usde both of these many times, but quit using the zigzagger when I got a machine that would do that. I love that buttonholer, and sometimes use it instead of my new machines.

And in answer to yobrosew: No. The button holer also uses cams, and only goes round and round.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM

The heaviness was very noticeable more so than any of the other attachments I have and the fact that it had the extra screw adjustment on the back. From what I have read last night while searching out the web, the screw
adjustment changes the gear increments so then it moves in shorter or longer steps and gathers different amounts of fabric under the foot accordingly. I think...don't anybody quote me please, because I have not used it yet to know for sure. I think I also read that it was used for ric rac and other fancy embellishments along with being able to attach elastic gathered and sewn right onto the fabric.

Here are some better photos
Attached Thumbnails img_6013.jpg   img_6015.jpg   img_6012.jpg   img_6011.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 11-12-2014 at 09:19 AM.