Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Godzilla Featherweight????

A real crinkle FW has grooves in the bed as the decoration and no decals. The face place is shaped like the tan and white FWs. The one on Ebay is a repaint

Screams repaint! If I was going to paint one, I sure wouldn't have chosen this color or finish. I think somebody got ripped off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
    I saw that too! He says it may or may not be a repaint. But how would you get a crinkle finish in repaint??? Wouldn't the finish of the metal give you the crinkly surface???
    The crinkle is in the paint, not the metal surface. Not quite sure how they do it tho...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I am agreeing that it is a repaint. According to Nancy Johnson-Strebo's book, Featherweight 221-The Perfect Portable it is possible to repaint a featherweight with special crinkle finish paint available from auto and machinery suppliers and apply decals in the appropriate places. She does mention that a genuine black crinkle machine will have two sets of parallel grooves on the bed and arm extension always be a series AF machine and be a Model 221 SV 1. If you love Featherweights, you must have her book.
    Sweet Caroline

So thanking you all for this information. I saw that one also. Too bad for someone. I think the price is now over $300.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

It sold for $432.96 + shipping of $36.29. Obviously the bidders did not do their homework. Crazy
    Sweet Caroline

Another "come on, man" moments!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    The crinkle is in the paint, not the metal surface. Not quite sure how they do it tho...
    There is a "Wrinkle" paint available at most hardware/home or auto parts stores that is fairly easy to apply made by VHT

Apparently it has a certain amount of Tung oil mixed into the paint which allows the outer and inner layers of paint to dry at different rates causing the wrinkle... hmmm who knew...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2