good /bad $ weekend

Old 09-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
Love it! I really enjoy goodies bags but I don't find much here either. The local GW never seems to have any attachments. I secretly think an employee gets them all before they hit the floor.
I was looking at some machines at a Salvation Army store once and got to BSing with the guy that runs the back room. After a while he admitted that he keeps the controllers and any accessories that come in with a machine. When I told him I was interested in 5 of the machines that were there he brought me the controllers to some of them and the accessories to one of them. He told me I was lucky he hadn't taken them home yet. I told him that they would sell more of their machines if he left them complete. I don't think he cared.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wilburness
no idea what I have yet. put it out to get rid of some of the musty smell. went thru a little town I lived in and discovered a junk shop that was open. I found a box of boxes of sewing machine accessories. two motors and three machines. this is some of them.
when I get home tonight I can dig thru and see what have.
Great find! I love treasure finds like this. My most recent was a big box of cr*p given to me that had a bunch of old Kenmore stuff in it. I could have strangled the kid when he told me he trashed the machine and threw it in the dumpster.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Whether or not attachments go with the machines to the donation site depends on who is sending them. My mother did not keep the attachments with the machine, so when she gave it to me she had to locate the box with all the attachments. She had them, but they had rearranged the house and the box was in a new location. I believe that happens a lot. So unless the person keeps it all together or the donating party knows my guess there is a lot of separation. And some of it may be when it does get donated the people receiving it may not know to keep it together either. After all if it is sold separate they would make more money, or so they think.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM

I've only seen about 7 vintage machines at GoodWill- none with cords, attachments, or bobbin cases. Someone mentioned the bits are sometimes separated accidentally and therefore pitched out! Another person said there might be some sort of liability for selling something with iffy cords so they pitched them. I haven't craved any machine enough to pay $50 for an incomplete machine. They don't sell- they are pitched. Poor machines don't have a chance around here.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM

I just picked up two foot controllers at Goodwill today. $8.00 total. I went there looking for just a power cord after seeing the prices for plugs at Ace. Wire was $.69 a foot and plugs were around $3.00 each. I would have had $8 or $9.00 just in making a cord. Extension cords were high priced too, around $9.00 each so I couldn't save any money that way either. Far cheaper to go to a thrift store and either find a cord or buy something and cut the cord off. Both foot controllers are wired for 3 wire plugs at the machine. I'll have to do some rearranging on the wiring for them to work with my machines.
Our Goodwill is pretty good about leaving accessories in the cabinet with the machine. It's a little hit & miss but they don't purposely separate stuff.
Rodney
Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

Rodney,
You can get a 6ft extension cord at Walmart for less than 2 bucks. Or try Sunbirds. I used to love to shop there.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM

oh my there is a bunch of goodies in those boxes. I have to sort them all out. there are things I have no idea what they are. but I am / will learn.
I have other happy news. this wednesday my "foster" grandson will become my grandson. after almost 3 years they will finally be able to adopt him. I am going to go to court with them. oh what a happy day.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 AM

Wilburness, congratulations on your grandson becoming an 'official' part of the family! It's clear that he's already part of your family in your hearts!
And what a wonderful find of 'stuff'! It's so much fun to rummage through things and find treasures.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 AM

Congrats on the adoption Wilburness! Kids really need that sense of permanency that adoption gives them.
Rodney
Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 AM

*** A Treasure Trove.
*** Did you buy the machines to?
*** If so, pics please.