Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Good housekeeper sewing machine >

Good housekeeper sewing machine

Good housekeeper sewing machine

Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Wink Good housekeeper sewing machine

I have a GOOD HOUSEKEEPING sewing machine and cannot find how old it is? the numbers on it are E15001 64098 Can anyone help me find out about it? It is in an old tredle machine setup the sewing table is oak and the tredle is in good condition works well the machine is well very dirty ..
What do I use to clean it? I can clean inside it im maGoogle and could not find this model?
Hope I get it to work for me..... Im excited!!!!!

Thanks so much

Sudsy
Attached Thumbnails win_20140831_192557.jpg   win_20140831_192609.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome. The numbers you gave aren't any good for dating it, there just aren't any records to go by for the Asian machines. If it was made in Japan, my guess is it's from the 1970s. If it's from Taiwan, my guess is late70s to mid/late 80s. A damp cloth to wipe the surface dirt off may be all you need. I use TR3 Resin glaze as a finish on my machines, other people use different things like Dawn dish soap, Go-Jo hand cleaner, what ever works for you. Just test it before you go over the whole machine.

Cari
Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 PM

Welcome! What Cari said is right on. You have a painted machine so regular cleaners should be safe on it. Old black ones are japanned with a shellac clear coat. Those need to be treated much more carefully. Sewing machine oil is safe for all machines.

Take a look at the sticky here on cleaning machines and watch Muv's videos. Her machines are older but her methods are good for any sewing machine. Stay away from WD40 and 3-in-1 oils. Neither are suitable for sewing machines.

Can you take pictures of the treadle too and is this machine still electric or was it converted to be used as a treadle?
The Japanese manufacturers made a lot of different machines with a lot of different labels. If you go thru some of the threads here on Japanese machines you may find a similar machine with a different badge but basically the same. A lot of machines rolled out of the same factories with different badges and trim details but were basically the same under the surface.
Rodney
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

It is all mechanical, pre-computer Asian made machine for sure. It appears to have some kind of cam stack inside for changing stitches. You will need to clean the inside and outside. You will need to figure out how the knobs and levers all work. Go slow, clean then oil everything. While yours isn't terribly fancy, here is a link to a thread about the Japanese zig-zag machines with fancy stitches you might like to look at: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html
whoops that was the wrong one but I left it anyway
here it is:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html