Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Got 2 new members to the family! >

Got 2 new members to the family!

Got 2 new members to the family!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM

Red face Got 2 new members to the family!

I have "Ruby" that's actually her name only you can only see about 2 of the letters! Hubby brought her home and we are trying to find stuff out on her she is a Vibrating Shuttle machine and we're waiting on the WD-40 to loosen her up. I think hubby bought her for $10 The guy asked him if she was worth that in scrap metal? That kind of thinking just makes my stomach hurt! hahaha! I have a serious addiction to these babies!

The next one is a White Family Rotary FR I have to find out what needles she uses and look in my extra bobbins and get her one out. It says only use FR needles is that true? Also if anyone has one of these coffin top cases the one picture shos the inside of it what is supposed to go in there? Is it to store the foot control? Are attachments hard to find for this White machine?

Hubby couldn't wait til Christmas! I just love him so much! hee hee He's definiately a keeper! Oops I guess the White is the first set of pictures! hee hee
Attached Thumbnails 100_2484.jpg   100_2485.jpg   100_2486.jpg   100_2487.jpg   100_2489.jpg  

Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM

Don't, don't, don't, DON'T ever use WD40 on sewing machines. Wipe off all you can and get Triflow or real sewing machine oil and start over.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 PM

I'm trying to figure out if the second one has crinkle paint over the original finish or if that's some rusty cast iron showing thru. Either way you have your work cut out for you on that one. If it's rust, the WD-40 might help loosen things up but after everything is freed up clean it off and oil the machine properly. WD-40 has it's uses but it's not a great long term lubricant. Kroil is one of the best penetrating oils to use on stuck parts or a 50-50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone works well too. Any one of the above can be hard on the finish and decals on a sewing machine though. That's why sewing machine oil is recommended. It won't harm the finish.
Rodney
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'm trying to figure out if the second one has crinkle paint over the original finish or if that's some rusty cast iron showing thru. Either way you have your work cut out for you on that one. If it's rust, the WD-40 might help loosen things up but after everything is freed up clean it off and oil the machine properly. WD-40 has it's uses but it's not a great long term lubricant. Kroil is one of the best penetrating oils to use on stuck parts or a 50-50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone works well too. Any one of the above can be hard on the finish and decals on a sewing machine though. That's why sewing machine oil is recommended. It won't harm the finish.
Rodney
I'm going with rust.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 AM

I believe that your Ruby is a New Home machine. Yours looks better than mine that was found in the rubbish of a caved-in shed.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine98_01.jpg   machine98_06.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 06:06 AM

Sewred,
The White Rotary uses a standard 15x1 needles, can be found at JoAnn's, etc...I use Schmetz needles in mine.
I have a 1917 White Rotary FR, it had been converted to electric in the past. My friend gave me the machine, it was her friend's. It was a family machine and had always been kept inside the house.
I found a cabinet locally and did a motorectomy and she's a treadle again. All I had to do to it was oil it and remove the old compacted lint in the feed dog and bobbin area, sews beautifully.
Her name is Susie after her former owner.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails 1917-white-rotary-treadle-001.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=purplefiend;6471996]Sewred,
The White Rotary uses a standard 15x1 needles, can be found at JoAnn's, etc...I use Schmetz needles in mine.
I have a 1917 White Rotary FR, it had been converted to electric in the past. My friend gave me the machine, it was her friend's. It was a family machine and had always been kept inside the house.
I found a cabinet locally and did a motorectomy and she's a treadle again. All I had to do to it was oil it and remove the old compacted lint in the feed dog and bobbin area, sews beautifully.
Her name is Susie after her former owner.

Thank you! Susie is very pretty!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Rodney
It is rust, we just use the wd-40 to free it up and are careful not to get it on the decals and stuff. We use sewing machine oil after we get it moving again.