Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Got one for cheep this time:  MW Signature w/cams >

Got one for cheep this time: MW Signature w/cams

Got one for cheep this time: MW Signature w/cams

Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Got one for cheep this time: MW Signature w/cams

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=10204397

This was a spur of the moment thing. We really didn't plan on bidding on it, but it's so ... so ... utilitarian looking. And it has cams! Whooo Hooooo

We'll go pick it up today or tomorrow.

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I looked at that one but exercised some self control ...nice score!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Here's the GW pic for those who don't wanna go to the link:

Joe
Attached Thumbnails mw-signature.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Looks like she is in excellent condition. You certainly got a good buy.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Joe, you are a hoot!!! She looks brand new!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Pictures lie, details in a little while.

Elaine
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 PM

If it sews as well as the one I got at Salvation Army that is only slightly newer, you'll be pleased. I paid more than you did and had some work to do. $13 for machine, $3 for a belt and $13 for a bobbin case, but nearly $0 for transportation. I also got a MW buttonholer, but it's going in the round file as it seems to be missing a small part.

Last edited by irishrose; 06-26-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Well, the picture didn't show the years of grime. Or the missing light bracket screws under the face plate. Or the worn out belt. Or the super dry insides. Or the missing thread guide with it's little screw that is also the needle stop.

I've spent the entire afternoon since we got home cleaning and oiling the insides of this machine. But she is responding.
I had the screws to the light bracket. After replacing those the bulb burned out. I had one of those. The dry insides got a thorough soaking of Tri-Flow oil. Boy howdy did that make a world of difference. I had a much better used belt and put that on. Oiled the motor.
Washed the outside really good. Much better.

After all that I put a needle in it and it sews soooooooo quiet. ZZ's good too. Then there is a problem with the stitch width lever dragging on the chrome trim in the side of the machine. It looks like something inside is pressing down on it, so I'm cogitating on how to correct that. Once that's done I figure it will sew beautifully.

The thread guide and screw will have to come from the LSMG perhaps tomorrow.

This is going to be a good machine. There is only 10 cams for it, but there are some patterns we don't have on the others so it has a place in our collection.

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Is yours a U?? - J? If it is it is a Juki machine like mine. Like Sears, MW badges a lot of machines made by other manufacturers. You had to do more than I did. My biggest problem was figuring out how to get it apart to replace the belt.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM

That's why I won't buy a machine from shopgoodwill. If you're lucky enough to get a machine with all it's parts, that works as it should, etc....that's exactly what it is....LUCK! You're bidding on machines that are listed by people who know absolutely nothing about sewing machines....or packing them if it's going to be shipped.

I have bought on ebay. There are a few excellent ebay sellers who really know sewing machines...one who comes to mind is niftythriftygirl. She has a video of every machine that's listed, describes all flaws (& shows them on the video), & packs them so well they could be dropped from a roof! And there are a few others that are very trustworthy also...check feedbacks. You're protected as a buyer by ebay & Paypal....& the seller's fear of getting their feedback trashed!

I personally wouldn't buy anything on shopgw that takes some knowledge of the product to sell it properly.