Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Greasing/Oiling a featherweight >

Greasing/Oiling a featherweight

Greasing/Oiling a featherweight

Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 PM

Unhappy Greasing/Oiling a featherweight

Ok, finally got a featherweight at a yard sale (pics on tomorrow) Instruction manual says to only grease motor with special Singer grease---do not oil. Local Singer dealer/repairman says grease gets clogged, and recommends I just oil
the motor
I have waited far too long to acquire this machine and do not want to ruin it. Need advice from all the owners of featherweights and from Billy please? What should I do?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fktsewing View Post
Ok, finally got a featherweight at a yard sale (pics on tomorrow) Instruction manual says to only grease motor with special Singer grease---do not oil. Local Singer dealer/repairman says grease gets clogged, and recommends I just oil
the motor
I have waited far too long to acquire this machine and do not want to ruin it. Need advice from all the owners of featherweights and from Billy please? What should I do?
Read your manual - lots of good info - there is a thread about Featherweight machines on QB: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t124727.html
Here is one we cleaned up for my mother you can browse http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html I'm not sure we even posted about oiling the motor. There are some ports you can put a little grease into shown in the manual. Enjoy the links!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:36 AM

In this case I would ignore the local SMG and follow the instructions in the manual. Make sure to use Singer Lube only. It is a grease made for motors.

Joe
Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM

The problem with using oil is that it won't stay where it's supposed to. Once it gets in the motor it will fling around, and if it gets on the brushes it can fry the motor.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Definitely DO NOT put oil in the motor. Use Singer grease or Triflow grease. In a pinch, some have even recommended vaseline. But no oil in the motor.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 AM

A quote about Tri-Flow grease in motors from Sew-Classic.com:
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Tri-...oz-TF23004.htm
Originally Posted by Sew-Classic
THE BEST lubricant for sewing machine gears that require grease. It's MUCH "stickier" than the Singer grease/lubricant so it doesn't "fling off" so much as the gears spin. The added PTFE (Teflon) makes the machine run so much smoother- Tri-Flow Grease is waterproof, clear, prevents rust and corrosion - formulatied with PTFE (aka Teflon)

Superb lubricant for lubricating metal gears- even safe for most non-metal gears that require lubrication. (refer to the service or owners manual for guidelines for lubricating non-metal gears- requirement varies) Stays put- great stuff! (USA purchase only)

Not recommended for grease tubes or pots that lubricate motor bearings via a wick. Either use the Singer grease for this or petroleum jelly for those applications
Bold text by myself.
Sew-Classic also has the Singer Lube for the motors in stock:
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...ease-S2129.htm

Also from Sew-Classic: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/01/...g-machine.aspx
This is where I read not to use Lithium grease in sewing machines.

There is really no legitimate reason to use improper lubes on sewing machines.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 06-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
Definitely DO NOT put oil in the motor. Use Singer grease or Triflow grease. In a pinch, some have even recommended vaseline. But no oil in the motor.
Triflow is fine for the gears but NOT the motor.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM

No - N0 - No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't put oil in the motor - only grease! You can buy Singer grease at Joann's.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM

I have cleaned up, oiled and greased 2 FW. I just follow the instructions in the manual. No oil in motor, only Singer grease. The manual shows all the places that oil should go and a few places where the grease goes. They run so much better after doing that. Have fun