A greasy question

Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Thank you. I will check it out. It does seem to be getting quieter with use, but it's on the floor right now. It shares a table with the Elna. I'm making an apron and Miss Elna is my apparel machine.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Well, in my experience grease is internal therefore you'd rarely see it on cloth etc. It's the oil that usually makes the mess. I put enough grease so that the internal part of the gears are completely coated. I then wipe away excess with a q tip. Works for me, be it singer grease or triflow grease. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Well, I've used up about 150 Q-tips cleaning a moderately grungy 500 tonight. When it goes back together it will be greased and oiled thoroughly but not excessively. I'm going to try to exercise .... um ..... restraint, that's it, restraint in my greasing.

We'll see how that goes.

Joe
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, I've used up about 150 Q-tips cleaning a moderately grungy 500 tonight. When it goes back together it will be greased and oiled thoroughly but not excessively. I'm going to try to exercise .... um ..... restraint, that's it, restraint in my greasing.

We'll see how that goes.

Joe
Joe, you are such a slacker... my DGD would have used up a whole lot more Q-tips than that... She goes get grease out though. I have a machine to tackle that has the whole bottom totally coated in grease. I think I might turn the kids loose on it some time. They get a big kick out of cleaning out grease and lint. Looks like something is getting done I guess.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 AM

This is the first machine I really have used q-tips on. Other machines I just used tooth brushes, cloths, paper towels and the like.
In addition to the q-tips I used denatured alcohol to clean it. That stuff works pretty good. Drys fast and doesn't leave much residue or stains behind.
Of course it's not for little kids to use as they'd get stoned pretty quick on the vapors.

I got the 500 to sew so I checked with my LSMG and he said ............. yes I have the parts for it, I'll call you back Monday, too busy today. I figure I'll have it all cleaned and ready to finish up when he calls. Once back together I'll put it in a cabinet ( I have four sitting with no machines) and we'll use it. I've got all the cams it needs and about 80% of the attachments too. Of course the 401A and 4622 can share some of the feet and attachments with it so we're good to go here.

Joe
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Joe - GKs do not use chemicals - not ever - they do use brushes & Q-tips
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Joe, if this is your new cleaning strategy I'm talking to my stock broker tomorrow...Qtips..Buy, Buy, Buy. LOL.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

DanofNJ, I'm laughing my head off... My uncle says to buy stock in hearing aids - too many kids with loud music.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Irishrose,

On the old vintage Singers the motors are lubed with grease, not oil. The clone motors are oiled, not greased.
On some of the clone motors there is a tiny hole on the housing just above or below the shaft, this is the oiling point.

If there is no oil hole on the clone motor I place a drop of oil on the shaft just as it enters the motor housing, then I run the motor full speed for 30 seconds or so to distribute the oil and then wipe off any extra oil.
More motors are ruined from over oiling than from under oiling.

Cathy

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Joe, I'm too lazy to look up your post on which motors need greasing. The motor on my MW 15 clone seems like it would like some grease, but there are no ports on the top. Is it one that does need grease or are the ports elsewhere?

To answer your question, I grease my 301 lightly. I feel the movement of the gears will distribute it. I oil more heavily, but that machine seems to want it. The 404 I recently purchased is dirty with grease. I'll assemble your 'tool' list for cleaning it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

When the apron is finished and the MW is back in the table, I'll look it over. Thank you, Joe and Cathy.