Great Eastern Rebuilt Singer

Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM

I have a rebuilt Singer 27 that was painted with a paint brush, but it wasn’t done by Great Eastern. I don’t know who did it. There is paint inside the casting where the bristles wrapped around the edge in places. The inspection covers preserved the paint complete with brush streaks like it had been painted recently, but it was most likely done back in the 1940s. It also has the BW lobe removed, BW moved up onto the belt guard, Singer Badge removed, and a small balance wheel.

Looks like you’ve got most of a later (Style 11?) Singer Puzzle Box Attachment Kit there, with a couple of extra feet in it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

My machine has a serial number 16350264
The other re-furb is like yours. This one left the bw, badge and hand wheel but tacked on Sparky, the motor AND the horrible paint job.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

And at last a shot of after the clean up. I should have shot a before... and no it doesn't look like stuff Grant does. And NO it isn't as pretty as SteveH's machines. It sews nice though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498280[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-27-refurb-refurb-002.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
...and no it doesn't look like stuff Grant does. And NO it isn't as pretty as SteveH's machines. It sews nice though.

Which is more than SteveH can say about the pretty machine..... hehe Love the "rebadging" on this. awesome save.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Which is more than SteveH can say about the pretty machine..... hehe Love the "rebadging" on this. awesome save.
I absolutely LOVE that pretty machine you found. I would have bought it, too. There is one on CL locally driving me nuts. I have too much to do to go get it... if it is still there when I'm off work..... ARGH......... intervention........
Yes that rebadging is very kool. I'm trying very hard to keep it. Glenn says sand that thing down, paint it with black lacquer paint, coat with shellac put on a decal and more shellac.... I need to find a positively weird decal.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I absolutely LOVE that pretty machine you found. I would have bought it, too. There is one on CL locally driving me nuts. I have too much to do to go get it... if it is still there when I'm off work..... ARGH......... intervention........
Yes that rebadging is very kool. I'm trying very hard to keep it. Glenn says sand that thing down, paint it with black lacquer paint, coat with shellac put on a decal and more shellac.... I need to find a positively weird decal.
I think if you repaint it white or a light color you will have more weird decal choices.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I never sanded it or painted it. I just scraped it and then sprayed shellac on there then French polished it. It came out surprisingly smooth.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Would you sell this to me?I've been looking for one for years. I learned to sew on my Mom's. I inherited it, but 40 years ago my kids tore up the tension. I threw it away,not knowing it could be fixed. The wiring was shot too. It would shock you if you tried to sew on it. The history Mama told me was that Singer made no machines during WWll so other places rebuilt machines from old Singer 66's and 128's. Later I found out they actually made a few 99's and some cheap pistols to arm the French resistance.during WWll. Great Eastern was a department store up north somewhere.Mom lived in Baltimore and New York during the war. They painted over the machines with crinkle finish and added electric motors to these treadle machines. The motor were NOT Singer made. Singer later sued more than one for using Singer name. They won. That's all the history I know.Mine had no reverse, and used some 66 bobbins.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

It was sold in Florida a few years ago. It sewed nice.