Greist sewing attachments

Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Greist sewing attachments

Hi,

I just bought a box of sewing machine attachments of Greist. Can the Greist attachments go on my Standard Treadle? Can they go on an electric Singer? Or what machine do these go on?

Guinnivire
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guinnivire View Post
Hi, I just bought a box of sewing machine attachments of Greist. Can the Greist attachments go on my Standard Treadle? Can they go on an electric Singer? Or what machine do these go on?

Guinnivire
Guinnivire, welcome to the board!

Greist was a Major manufacturer of attachments from the later 1800's on. They made attachments for just about every machine out there.

The issue is not so much the brand but of the attachment type. Singer made Std foot, Back Clamp, High Foot, and Slant foot depending on the model. Most other makers used a single type each.

Oh and we love pictures here, they really help. if you need help with how to let us know

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-23-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM

1. top clamp or side clamp? Greist made both styles, side clamp fits Singer and other newer machines, top clamp will usually fit one specific mnfg machine. There are a few machines that take the same feet - and they are usually the less common ones.

2. Did it come with any plates, if so that helps a lot to determine what machine a set of top clamp will fit. I think I've come up with about 8 unique feet styles, and Standard is one of the less common, White, National and Free are the three most common of the top clamp.

I have the specs on all the different feet I have - so given those I can probably tell you exactly what machine your set will fit.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM

A few more things about Standard top clamp. Standard went out of business earler than some of the others. So far I've not found a newer style cardboard box with Standard attachments. I have found them in black cardboard and metal boxes. Most of the Standard sets I've seen come in boxes that say "Standard" on them.

I've got Toof and Greist mfg feet. One interesting thing - the sets I have the tucker mounts from the back, not the front. Also note the shir and underbraider - this shape is unique to Standard.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:31 PM

And boxes - I do not have one for the first set.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:31 PM

They might fit like a random pair of sneaks may fit my feets. A pic might help someone to ID them. Some attachments are unique by appearance but others some measurements are needed to determine make.

Jon
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Here are the specs for Standard
height of foot .675" (one of the tallest)
clamp gap .175 - they pretty much come in two sizes, .125" or .180" there is some slight variation on the larger gap, but it does not seem significant - meaning there is going to be something else that is enough different to determine the machine they fit.
Bar to needle .478" (just under .5")
Needle hole is offset slightly to right.

I have tried fitting feet on different macines, and Standard only takes Standard, and so far I've not found another machine that they fit (and I've got over 15 different Mfg of US made machines of this era).

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-10-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 PM

and since some one hit my "attachment ON button"

Gap - basically two sizes, 1/4" and 3/8" there are very few Mfg that take a narrow gap foot.

Distance between bar and needle (or front edge of gap to needle hole) .425", .475" .5" .52" and .62" some feet have an "open toe" so they can accommodate more variation in needle position, but it's still got to be close.

Needle position - Centered in gap, or offset to right or left, and some have a slight offset, some a significant offset. And some Mfg had offset on older machines, and then went to centered on later machines.

There was a time before the top clamp that machines had slip on feet - but the "specs" are the same and with most, you can put the top clamp adaptor on them and use that style feet.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Macybaby, you are too awesome...
Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 AM

"crazy" might be a better word. . .

Of the top clamp style, I've got (and all are unique in some way)
6 Standard
1 Foley & Williams
2 Eldredge (old style)
1 Davis
5 National
2 Free (old style)
3 Free/New Home
1 New Royal
6 White
4 New Home (old style)

I've got a few more top clamp I've not added to the list

And then I've got all the older slip on sets I've not finished going through. Though I did nail down one of my "mystery" sets - it fits the Demorest. I think another one is for a traverse shuttle machine, based on what I've seen online.

And then finally - I've not hardly looked at all the different side mount (non Singer mfg) sets I've got.

Then there is the group that is different - Wheeler Wilson, Davis VF, W&G Chainstitch, and I'm looking for a set to fit Singer 24

Oh - SteveH, I'm still waiting to get the specs on the Florence from you. I don't know if that would be the same as the later models, but I do have a few slip on feet that don't fit anything I have. They are very similar to the White, but the pressure bar on the White is just a bit too big to fit, but the needle hole is more centered than the other older ones I have with a smaller diameter bar. It's not near as small as what the New Home takes though.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-11-2014 at 05:10 AM.