Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Greyhound Saga - motor & foot pedal >

Greyhound Saga - motor & foot pedal

Greyhound Saga - motor & foot pedal

Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Greyhound Saga - motor & foot pedal

My Greyhound R out of Orange, MA came with a modern Kenmore foot pedal which obviously doesn't go with the machine and a Singer foot controller Part # 194588. The Singer's cord is in terrible condition and it's my own fault that I didn't immediately bag it. It left weird bits of hard icky stuff all over floor, then I set it on my ironing board for about 15 min. & black icky stuff seeped into ironing board so I have to recover it now. My bad. Re-wiring wouldn't be a problem but I don't know if this pedal will work with the New Home Greyhound. The end that connects to the motor is separated into 2 copper rings. The motor is a General Electric with a relatively new power cord (similar to the brown extension cords of the 70's) connected to the motor directly. I can't figure out how or where to connect a foot pedal. There is a end opposite the end that meets the wheel. Here's the motor badge and the end I'm looking at as a possible connection site. There is no plug area. there is nothing on the underside that I can see. I'm ordering a foot pedal wire and I want to get the right one. If the Singer pedal I have won't work for the New Home, I'd like to know what I should get instead. Would the copper rings maybe go under the screws on the inner side? (pic 3) I'm lost in the wilderness here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460151[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460154[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140202_02.jpg   20140202_05_01.jpg   20140202_08_01.jpg  

Last edited by GreyQ; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM

I was reading this and realized I have an electric New Home - so I went to look at the motor.

Interestingly enough - the model number on this one starts with "K" and it is for sure a Model K. So it looks like the letter indicated the model and not the factory. Mine also says "Orange, MS" on it. We've probably got some of the last of the original New Home machines.

The motor is a Westinghouse, and mine was in a cabinet. The foot pedal is connected to what looks like a double outlet box. The motor plugs in one, and the light the other, and then that plugs into what looks like an extension cord.

Based on what I've seen of my T that is also in a case, the wiring block that connects the motor and foot pedal is inside the box, under the sewing machine. It sounds like someone rewired your machine with the different foot pedal - or someone just tossed that in because they lost the original. One never knows on some of these machines, and I've seen that often enough. Add says "comes with attachments and foot pedal" and you can tell that neither the foot pedal or attachments will fit the machine they are selling.

As soon as my New Home in the case shows up, I'll take pictures and share them with you.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Grey,

It's all in the wiring connections. My Greyhound Model 30 has two wires coming from the motor and two from the light. Those wires pass through a hole in the back of the bed then to a 3 way male connector mounted against a hole in the rear of the case bottom. The cord set has a two wire power cord and a two wire foot controller going to the 3 way female connector that connects the male half through the hole in the case bottom.

I don't know if yours is like this, but even if it's not, the actual wiring will be the same or very similar.
Here is a generic wiring diagram:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460291[/ATTACH]
This is the same wiring set up used by Singer and many many Japanese machines.

When wired correctly any two wire foot controller will work.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails sewing-mach-generic_web.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Oh, and as you can see when I took the pic above I had a modern electronic controller on it. Worked great. This machine was the first one I had ever rewired and I shorted the controller out. ( Beega ball of sparkies -- EEEKKKK!!) I later was able to repair it and now have it back on the machine working fine.

Joe
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 AM

GreyQ - notice that wire on the motor that comes out from under the pully and goes under the motor and into the case - does your motor that? From what you've posted, it sort of sounds like the wire from the motor is missing.

if you don't have the type of connection Joe shows, you could easily either hard wire them together, or use another type of connector (a Singer one will work too) all they are is a block that facilitates getting the right wires connected to each other. It's very nice to have it easy to unconnect too.

Joe, I hope the machine I'm getting is wired like yours. It looks very similar but there are not good pictures of the connection at the box. what ever is there, it will be simple enough to get a three prong plug, male and female ends and wire them up in this configuration.

Though I'm not sure I want to keep that machine electric anyway . . .
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 AM

I'm grieving missing out on the ebay green New Home. unavailable also intensifies the value...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Cathy,

The connectors in my machine are in low fair condition. I tried to find some similar so I could replace them. I couldn't find any. I found them way bigger, square, huge, plastic, rubber, but nothing close enough to replace these. So I carefully reused them.

Joe
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM

I'll let you know if I find something - DH and I have needed to replace some rather odd connections around the farm and had to get most of them online. The pictures of mine look in worse shape than yours. I could always patch and re-cut the hole so the Singer one fits. I love vintage, but will not hesitate to upgrade electrical.

BTW - the screw that held the motor on my New Home K is the same thread as what the W9 takes - but a hair smaller in diameter - my husband is going to measure the screw and I'll tell you exactly what it is. He's got one of those thread feeler gauges. He found a site online that has the 4-48 screws I need for the tucker that fits the Davies NVF but it requires $15 minimum order, so I'm going over my other attachments and figuring out screws/nuts I need. May not be pretty like the original, but it will make them functional.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Functional trumps pretty in my book.

Joe
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm at the office so I'm going by memory. There is only one cord, the power cord coming out of the motor. I have to open the motor case to see where it goes. There is no second power box for light & foot/knee pedal like my Godzilla. There is no plug in anywhere. There is no light attachment. I'll take some more pics. Thanks for the ideas. This is really a group find & project.!