Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Crank Discussion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I also saw this, it was in the Treade On site and applied to a Willcox and Gibbs Chainstitcher. The W&G was attached to a nicely made "box" case and the crank fastened to the side of the case at the correct height.

Jon
    It would be hard to come up with a correct height - there are variations in the height on the machines. I have an old long bobbin machine with a motor attached pretty unique - might work for HC - I'll shoot it and some Chinese hand cranks later.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I have a Singer handcrank model 128 (do not have picture) made 12/1949 in Elizabethport, NJ...my question is what is the benefit of a handcrank. I have no clue as this machine was given to me by a relative and I really would like to know if it is usable or just a decoration. Why are people looking to convert to handcranks??

Blog Entries
    You do not have to plug in a hand crank. You might need to mend a sail on a sail boat or fix a tent on the ground. You can sew on your back porch. I want one that will do embroidery some machines have an oddly placed boss or none at all - a HC will sew slow and I can control the speed closer. With the coal generated electric being shut down by the pres. you might want to save money on electric in the next few years.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

What Miriam says about sewing slow with a HC is so very true. You can literally stitch one stitch at a time consistently and accurately.

Joe

Blog Entries
    It would be nice for the fancy stitches. How about a HC on a Singer 401???

Thanks for the info. I may try to get it running. I am a little terrified by the long shuttle bobbin. I guess it would be good during times when power is out. I hate to get rid of it because it belong to my DIL's mother and she gave it to me because she felt I would appreciate it. This board is so helpful. I thank all of you for the info I get every day.

Blog Entries
    Muv's blog has a real good illustration of how to thread the shuttle - she has lots of videos on her blog, too. Muv is the best!!! http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.bl...ta-manual.html
    I printed it out and put it on card stock with the machine.
    Last edited by miriam; 01-08-2013 at 06:20 AM.

How would you put a hand crank on a 401? No external motor bracket boss there.

I could put a HC on my Alden? I wonder how hard it would be to hand crank that one?

Joe

Blog Entries
    It's why there is no HC on my 401... The Singer 319 & 306 boss is off set - won't turn right. an off set mount on the HC unit might work...

It is interesting thread Steve. I have an 1893 Singer 27 that is a perfect candidate to convert to a hand crank. I does not have a boss to mount one though.

Check out this link,
    http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads/, perfect for your technical mind.
    Sweet Caroline

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast