Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Crank Discussion

Blog Entries
    I use a HC for free motion thread play when you want/have to be perfectly accurate with your stitches! Great idea Steve!

How about starting at an easier point and designing a HC for some of our non Singer machines that are impossible to fit a Singer/Chinese HC on even if they have a motor boss? I have a beautiful 1910 New Home that I'd love to get a HC for, but the only HC's available are for Singers! It is virtually impossible to find a HC for any machine, except a Singer, unless you get lucky and can find a vintage HC that was made for your machine.

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 01-08-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks Miriam. Good info...printed it and also saved it to a folder on desktop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todie's Mom View Post
    Thanks Miriam. Good info...printed it and also saved it to a folder on desktop
    Muv is a QB member and she has a lot of info on the sticky notes.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Check out this link, http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads/, perfect for your technical mind.
    Ohhh thank you.... Bookmarked

Banned
    Yes, the whole point of this is to be able to develop a HandCrank process/mechanism that will work on non-bossed (or offset bossed) machines.

I think that the most probable way to do this is to mimic the singer RARE device at the beginning of this thread, however nothing is clear yet. NOTE: It works by clamping around the shaft behind the handwheel. and is not connected to the head at all.

The details we have so far are:
    1. Some machines have bosses for motors
    2. Some machines have off-set bosses for motors
    3. Some machines have NO bosses for motors
    4. Machines have different diameter handwheels
    5. Incorporating bobbin winders is important (if possible)
    6. Original singer handcranks have mounting screws on the bottom
    7. (in theory) New clone handcranks are cast as one piece.(crank and arm) (no photos yet...)
    8. All machines have a shaft that is central to the handwheel....

I am planning to keep my thoughts mostly to myself until I have most of the details sorted out but I'll say that my idea includes inspiration from the "jackrabbit" (motor on spring-loaded base to contact treadles and run them as electrics) as well.

Nancy, can you shoot me a photo of the boss area on your New Home?
    Last edited by SteveH; 01-08-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Banned
    So, here is a drawing of the first pass at a idea for a mount.

It will need details like bolt holes to mount the upper and lower halves together around the machine shaft and a sliding threaded bit to go in the slot for the hand-crank to mount to.

There may be bending needed to get the drop tongue portion it far enough back to simulate the boss location on a bossed machine

Name:  non-boss mount.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  6.1 KB

here we go..... Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    So, here is a drawing of the first pass at a idea for a mount.

It will need details like bolt holes to mount the upper and lower halves together around the machine shaft and a sliding threaded bit to go in the slot for the hand-crank to mount to.

There may be bending needed to get the drop tongue portion it far enough back to simulate the boss location on a bossed machine

Name:  non-boss mount.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  6.1 KB

here we go..... Thoughts?
    If it mounts to the shaft, where does the hand wheel fit? Does it need a hand wheel? How universal are the ends of the shaft that holds the hand wheel? I would love to test one out...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Banned
    The idea/hope is to have the lower half of this mount to the the belt guard. the upper half was drawn for clarity. (I did not want to try to Google sketch-up the belt guard.

Banned
    i cannot imagine that there are more than three diameters at best, simple bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    If it mounts to the shaft, where does the hand wheel fit? Does it need a hand wheel? How universal are the ends of the shaft that holds the hand wheel? I would love to test one out...
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy up a bunch of different machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast