Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Crank FW

Blog Entries

Hand Crank FW

I saw a hand crank FW and wondered if anyone had experience with piecing with one. It would be handy if there wasn't any electricity. I need both hands and sometimes a third to sew though. Is it practical?
    Hadn't seen a FW with a crank, only older machines. Need more encouragement to sew on a cranked machine.
    What do you think?
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    There is someone on the internet selling little cranks to go on the FW.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    I have a 201 hand crank and love it! I, too, thought it would be hard to sew with only one hand to guide the fabric, but it really isn't - the 201 sews so straight you don't need two hands to guide. I do find myself pinning a bit more, just in case. I made a purse on my hand crank and it came out great.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I read somewhere that a woman took a hand crank machine to her husband's car shows so she could enjoy her hobby and he could enjoy his. She said it was the best of both worlds and she gets alot of looks and questions from ladies that are dragged along to car shows

Blog Entries
    Never saw or heard of a Featherweight with a handcrank. I put a handcrank on a little 99 last Spring, and I like it a lot. But never thought about a Featherweight with one. I'd like to see a pic if you have one.

Found some info here: Hurkie, by Thayer Rags. I saw those cranks on Ebay. Problem would be the ratio of hand turns to needle ups and downs. One to one sounds pretty tiring! Also found this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/x75Pywf723s.

Saw this, with an improvised motor boss to mount one of the regular hand cranks. Looks like it would give a 3 to 1 of needle ups and downs to crank turns. Treadle On FW crank conversion.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Blog Entries
    Wow! That looks like a ton of work!! It looks kinda cute with that crank, though. I wouldn't tackle it, but for someone who wanted a people powered FW it is doable, looks like!!

Smile

I found a 99 at a Flea Market for $54.00 in a tan case. I talked my husband into removing the motor and putting on a hand crank (Sew-Classic had the directions and the handcrank - very reasonable). I now have a cute little machine to take with me when I know that electricity may be a bit dicey to find. She is beautiful and after we cleaned her up - put on the crank - (kept the motor in case some one may want to revert it back) and purrs like a kitten. Sews very very straight so one-handed holding is a piece of cake.
    Busy in Ohio

I never thought of adding a hand crank to one of my featherweights...great idea!
    Lynn