Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hand crank?

hand crank?

It's pretty, but is it a hand crank? or is something missing?
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atd/3532098418.html

here's another, & I like it better....but what's a good offer?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/3546363919.html
    Last edited by mindless; 01-15-2013 at 05:55 PM.

the second one is sweet. In this area, I would offer them $35 and negotiate up to maybe $55.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

The first one is missing the hand crank but the decals (called La Vincedora) are gorgeous, although they're partially worn away on the front edge. I don't think I'd pay that much for it - maybe $50-60.

I don't usually make offers, but the second machine (with the Victorian decals) I would probably go with makitmama's suggestion and offer $35-40 and go up to $55-60. UNLESS the decals and paint are in really great condition - in which case I'd end up somewhere around $75-100.

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your help

Muv
    Hello Mindless.

Make sure that any long bobbin machine has the shuttle. It's surprising how many people don't know what the shuttle is and would cheerfully sell a machine without it.

Also ask whether it has bobbins. You need at least one to try it out. After that spare long bobbins for Singers are fairly easy to get hold of.

That old bracket around the first machine isn't for a hand crank. I'm a bit puzzled by it.

I have a Priscilla sewing machine from the same era that has a curved motor bracket like that. It is quite ornamental. Mine has the bracket broken at the same location, which is a curved section that bends back and supports the motor. In the photo, mine looks lower than the CL machine, but that is because I loosened the bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by makitmama; 01-16-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Muv
    Thank you Makitmama, I thought it must be something to do with an ancient motor.

I have that first La Vincendora machine motorized and that is what the motor bracket looks like on mine.