Handcrank 306K (long)

Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Handcrank 306K (long)

After reading wonderful reviews of the 306K in 2010, the machine below turned up on eBay. At the time, I had no idea of the problem involved with installing a handcrank on this model machine......just liked the look and thought it would be great to have a zigzag machine that cranked. I had never installed a crank, taken off a motor, etc -- true beginner at this point.

The machine arrived with the motor installed (now I know why - to fit the case!) and it was missing several parts - bobbin tension guide, manual, bobbins, cams, attachments, int. bight screw. Mostly that was easily available. The real downside was the upper thread guide, broken, which always shredded the thread after a bit of stitching. The motor is a replacement and only goes very fast. Frustration.

The handcrank confounded me. It obviously was weird, with a big plate at the base that turned the thing at an angle and obviously was not going to fit on the orphan treadle 127 head I acquired. Drat. Cindy Peters must still consider me a crazed loon as I tried to describe the situation to her. The odd handcrank got stuck away in a box.

So lately, running through my list of parts needed, an upper thread guide turned up on eBay. Good. Now the machine could sew, but I also wanted to learn more about it, and searched Quilting Board.

THANK YOU, ThayerRags (CD in Oklahoma)!!!! Your comment a few months ago about the offset connection that caused handcranks to not fit on this machine brought about a real lightbulb moment!

The specially made plate welded to this handcrank makes it fit securely, nicely centered and it works beautifully! The machine is a delight to crank, and so thank you also to someone in Utah who went to the trouble and had the ability to pull off this neat trick.

Dianne in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails 306k.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 PM

Thats a great looking machine in Black. I don't know that I've ever seen a black one. The crank and handwheel looks it came that way ... now I need one.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
Thats a great looking machine in Black. I don't know that I've ever seen a black one. The crank and handwheel looks it came that way ... now I need one.
They come up every so often but about 90% of the ones I've seen are two tone tan/brown.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:21 PM

Thats the colors around here , I did see one in the last few months that was the two tone greenish color. It's like the 301's they just look nicer in Black
Old 12-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
Thats the colors around here , I did see one in the last few months that was the two tone greenish color. It's like the 301's they just look nicer in Black
The 319s are usually two tone green. They have the so-called typewriter keys.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Power Poster

I would like to see that plate. Is there a place that could duplicate that plate reasonably?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 AM

I love that. My new search is "on".....BTW, how does it sew, and does it zig zag good?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Congratulations! You now have unique machine that should also prove to be most useful.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Those sew great... I would love to be able to hand crank one - I like to play with the stitches and going slow would be of great benefit in tight places - for what ever reason I feel like I have more control with a hand crank than anything else.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Those sew great... I would love to be able to hand crank one - I like to play with the stitches and going slow would be of great benefit in tight places - for what ever reason I feel like I have more control with a hand crank than anything else.
That's exactly why I am so pleased with this machine, now that the secret of that odd handcrank was finally determined. Managing to locate the seller on eBay took some digging, but he responded to my email. He says he has modified handcranks for several other machines, trial and error until he got it right. I've no idea if he does this to sell locally, as it appears to be the only sewing machine he has sold on eBay. I wouldn't want to post his name here unless he is interested in manufacturing more of these, and it feels wrong to post a photo without his permission. I will email him again, asking about these issues.

Dianne in Colorado