Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance! >

Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM

Default Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

look what I brought home today!!!!!!

And it even came with a box of attachments with it's name on the cover!

The treadle base is in decent shape too - and has neat decals on it (I'll take picture of that later).

This is the first one I've even seen for sale since I've been looking - at it turned up less than 25 miles from home.

We started out the day and decided we'd skip this place as it's out in the boonies a bit, and they were open until 7 pm - so we could hit them on the way home if we had time. Didn't find a lot to get excited about, but some fabric and non -sewing stuff. We still had a lot of fun, and had just enough time to stop at this last antique shop on our way home. This is the place we picked up a beat up Singer 15 in a cabinet last year - that happened to have both a single thread and two thread embroidery attachment - for $32.50.

We looked at the stuff in the barn and found a nice 15 Clone, but DH wasn't interested. Then we walked into the other side (the store) and walked around and near the back I turned the corner and saw the Florence. It does say "AG Mason Mfg" on the back plate, however I'd read that AG Mason was selling the Florence machines before they got involved with White.

I have not yet checked to make sure it takes the shuttle I expect it to take - and that is why I was after it as I decided to collect a machine to go with each of the 12 shuttles that Boye sold.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

woot woot woot!! *happy dance* woot!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Cathy,

Looks similar to a White VS1 but not the same. You think AG Mason made this and if not who?

Great find
Jon
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM

The info on AG Mason is rather sketchy - I'm speculating that they were making machine for Florence at the end, then got involved with Domestic, and when White took over Domestic, AG Mason switched to selling White made machines.

There are quite a few similaritys in style between the Florence and early White, but they also have enough differences - I sort of wonder if maybe AG Mason Mfg was actually making both of them and then White went to Mfg their own machines - and AG Mason became a reseller and not a Mfg . . . Sources all pretty much agree that the machines they sold later are White made machines - the confusing part is if AG Mason EVER actually made any machines, or if they were always a reseller . . .

I did verify this machine takes Boye Shuttle #25 - however it appears to take the same feet as White, though the throat plates are different. If this is the case, it will be the only machine that has the same spread between the needle bar and presser bar as the White made machine.

I'd love to see the underside of the early White to compare with this machine (and the next gen Whites also).
Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 PM

Another interesting item - this machine has two belt tracks. The bobbin winder lines up with the inside one, and that one is not connected to the drive shaft/flywheel, so it turns independently. Only machine I've encountered that had this type of "stop motion" mechanism.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Cathy,

Great find and unique looking too!

Rodney
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM

That looks like a really cool machine...2 belt tracks? That is really interesting...can't wait to see her after you fix her up.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM

That would be a great machine even if it didn't take the correct shuttle.
Nice get!
Rodney
Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Another interesting item - this machine has two belt tracks. The bobbin winder lines up with the inside one, and that one is not connected to the drive shaft/flywheel, so it turns independently. Only machine I've encountered that had this type of "stop motion" mechanism.
Cathy could you clarify this. I have a Standard with the same kind of hand wheel and bobbin winder.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Banned

As u wish...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479955[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-02-07-15.38.27.jpg