Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Has the world changed so much in the last 30 years, or is it me? >

Has the world changed so much in the last 30 years, or is it me?

Has the world changed so much in the last 30 years, or is it me?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Tempus fugit
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM

I had a great Home Ec teacher in Battle Creek (MI), but a terrible one in Clio, so not of them all were mean.

Joe, I do NOT need any more machines so why did you show me that cute little Bernette in you second link? It's at $26 now with an equal amount for shipping. I'm sure it will skyrocket in another 40 minutes.

I think my best built machine is a 1973 Elna, but I haven't sewn on either treadle yet so I guess I'm not a good judge yet. All those Kenmores make me want to dig mine out. You're right, the plastic wonders can't hold a candle to our vintage ladies.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Dan,

And faster as we get older.

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
Tempus fugit
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
If I layed on my sewing floor, they wouldn't be able to recognize me. LOL
I enjoyed this image! If your floor looks like mine, they wouldn't be able to SEE me, let alone recognize.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM

I made a decision just yesterday and y'all are making me rethink it. I have a Kenmore here, a good one, and one I have partially meched/serviced. It still needs me to fix the reverse button. I do like the way it was engineered, very intelligently. It is in a Kenmore cabinet and given to me for free, since I make quilts for homeless people. I thought that the 20 or so decorative stitch cams were the value of it, and decided that, since I needed the space I'd give away the machine. But I had better rethink that, because of what you are all reminding me of the quality. It is my only Kenmore. I'll get that machine out tomorrow and do some decorative quilting stitches on it and see what I think then. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I had a great Home Ec teacher in Battle Creek (MI), but a terrible one in Clio, so not of them all were mean.

Joe, I do NOT need any more machines so why did you show me that cute little Bernette in you second link? It's at $26 now with an equal amount for shipping. I'm sure it will skyrocket in another 40 minutes.

I think my best built machine is a 1973 Elna, but I haven't sewn on either treadle yet so I guess I'm not a good judge yet. All those Kenmores make me want to dig mine out. You're right, the plastic wonders can't hold a candle to our vintage ladies.
I didn't see the little Bernette this morning, did you get it? I was just trying to help.

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
Tempus fugit
Joey only speekie English, what for you say????

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I enjoyed this image! If your floor looks like mine, they wouldn't be able to SEE me, let alone recognize.
Deb,

When I got up and went upstairs to ask my wife something I had string, lint, fabric bits and tails hanging off my clothes all over the place. My wife was picking them off of me and I'm surprised she didn't use the lint roller on me.

We try to keep the area swept, but it's pretty useless.

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM

I bought a Horn cabinet about 10 years ago and its laminated particle board. It was expensive about $900 at that time, but on sale @$650. I do wish it was real wood, but alas nobody made one at that time.
There is a cabinet maker that has a booth at the Houston show, his furniture is all wood and beautifully made too. Far out of my price range unfortunately.
I have 1 plastic wonder in my herd of machines, its lovely for what it does; but can be rather cranky sometimes. I'd love to find a vintage/antique machine with a 10-12 inch throat with feed dogs for machine quilting(the only reason for the plastic wonder is the 10" throat space).
All the rest of my machines are from 20-100 years old and don't give me attitude.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Joey only speekie English, what for you say????

Joe
Tempus Fugit is latin for "Time Flies" ! (I'm not really that smart; I had to google it!!!)