Hello All!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM

I checked with Jenny at Sew Classic about a darning foot, not really a hopping foot and essentially she said "Good Luck with that". Needles are a challenge also. I have only 4 bobbins and while they look like L type, the L's may be too big by a hair. I just have to try them & see. Last night I was thinking I could make one out of heavy duty wire, since I don't need it to hop, just a circle to smooth & hold the fabric. I did see one quilter who FMQ with no foot attached so I may even try that on a practice piece. MacyBaby if you can get one made please let me know!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Are we speaking of a long bobbin or rotary round bobbin machine? Either way, what about temporarily removing feed dogs?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM

It's a rotary bobbin with vertical setting and the feed dogs aren't an issue as they are easily removed or covered. I haven't measured it precisely but it looks like the bobbins are 1/4" by 3/4" and the Singer L bobbins may or may not be too big. The Singer 15 & 66 are too big. The New Home has a very different foot attachment method. I have a nice standard foot that's 1/4" and several attachments but not a darning foot. No modern company makes them so unless some one scores one in a box attachments or has another resource, it may be a new hunt for a darning foot. I can FMQ without the hopping foot but with a darning foot. So I'm looking for a darning foot. Not much hope if MacyBaby with her immense attachment collection doesn't have one yet ya just never know. At least a darning foot would be smaller, cheaper & easier to ship than a machine.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

Don't they make a needle with a spring on it you could use for free motion? Somewhere in my pile of junk I have some kind of little envelope with a little spring thing that goes over the needle. I tried it out once - it is wonderful but you do need a finger guard or something.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 AM

I've got several styles of the "springs" that fit over the needles to use for darning. The problem I see with them, is that they don't' touch the fabric until after the needle has penetrated. This is where I've had problems, as if you are not going slow and paying attention - you can be moving the fabric while the needle is in it - and that can cause all sorts of problems. With a hopping foot - it presses down on the fabric right before the needle penetrates, and stays down to hold the fabric from moving until the needle exits.

I dont' really know if this would be a big problem - but we've also had discussions about length of needle and problems that can arise if the fabric is moving while the needle is still in it. And that is also the number one reason my main machine has a chewed up needle plate.

I have FMQ on my main machine with the foot pressure set to near 0 - which pretty much allows no pressure down with the foot. I had to go quite slow or I'd miss stitches - and if I missed three in a row, I'd usually end up with the thread breaking as there would be too much loose thread below the tensioner at that point. I've not found a hopping foot that will fit on that machine so I can't see if that would be better. However I've used a hopping foot on several different Singers and also on my Bailey with no trouble.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 AM

Here are some different springs that fit on the needle to work for Darning. I'm pretty sure the second one would be the same as the third -but the top part is broken off. I know I have instructions for how to use them too. But with all of these, the needle tip sticks out below the spring, so it will contact the fabric first. Not having the correct fabric tension while sewing can cause all sorts of problems with the thread tension. If you sew with a hoop you don't really need a foot at all. You still need to make sure the tensioners are engaged though!

I've not tried any of these yet to see how they work -but this was what was sold as the "darning option" for the top clamp machines.

This is the only hopping foot I have for top clamp - made for Standard and that mfg has a much higher shank than the other top clamp feet, so I doubt it would work on the others even if you could get the needle hole to line up. This one is described as working for darning and machine embroidery. With this one, the foot will contact the fabric before the needle.

I don't like the type that hook to the needle bar and actually lift the presser foot up, bar and all. I'm too worried that over time it may cause the needle bar to slip down and get it out of time. But I have no idea if that would be a real problem or not.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Don't they make a needle with a spring on it you could use for free motion? Somewhere in my pile of junk I have some kind of little envelope with a little spring thing that goes over the needle. I tried it out once - it is wonderful but you do need a finger guard or something.
Yes, I have one of these too, and so does frudemoo. I tested mine a few months ago and it worked well.
They were a lot cheaper than buying a darning foot.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I have the one on the far right - I tested it and I loved it but I was so afraid I would sew up my finger. Do test them out and see how you like them.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM

If someone is looking for these, they are on eBay very often, and are not expensive like some of the Singer darning feet. I've got most of mine because they were in the box with the other attachments. I know I've got more than what I pictured - just have not got them all in the same spot yet.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM

I had a completely brilliant & witty response ready to send and my computer went on the fritz. After resets, etc. the keyboard died & I have to get a new one since just a few weeks ago I took all the old computer stuff, inc. keyboards, to Best Buy for recycling. Once again I'm reminded that I should never get rid of anything. Anyway, I love those little springy things. I'm going to look for a darning foot that attaches just like the regular foot I have for the Green Godzilla Greyhound but is a circle. I have modified my hopping foot for my Elna so it doesn't hop, just glides over the fabric and I like it better than the hopping although I can quilt either way. Here's a video by Leah Day on it: http://youtu.be/APD6s7PwoqU You all have so much cool stuff!!!