Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with Featherweight

Help with Featherweight

I have a Featherweight and by the serial number was born in 1939. It is in excellent condition but I am going to sell it this summer and I need help with the musty odor. I have a dish of vanilla sitting in the box with the attachments. I took the bottom off the sewing machine and it looks like rubber in the metal piece. It is so tight in there I would have to scrap it out. Just touching the rubber oil comes off on my hands. From what I have read it is supposed to be something like felt that is holding the smell and could be replaced. Now what do I do?
    Marilyn

Baking soda will get the odor out, but you may have to have it sit in there for a few days to get any results

Blog Entries
    odor eaters, deodorant soap, baking soda - absorb odors - you can get replacement felt
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

The drip pan pad may be the source of the smell and can be easily replaced. You can buy a new one on line for around $3.
    I Herd Ewe!

I put Lysol spray on a cloth and wiped the inside out. Then let it sit open for a few days. Odor was gone.
    Wickn34

Blog Entries
    i pushed an old thread up to the top on the same problem
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill