Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help identifying the specifics of this machine >

Help identifying the specifics of this machine

Help identifying the specifics of this machine

Old 07-17-2015, 01:24 PM

Default Help identifying the specifics of this machine

I have been perusing this board as well as the vintage sewing machine board on Ravelry and really enjoying seeing all of the wonderful old machines. In fact, I have the bug and have been keeping an eye on the Craigslist and Ebay postings in my area for a machine. The cabinet for this one has really caught my eye (and IMO, may be worth the asking price even without the machine inside). http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...121366271.html

I am not familiar with the machine in the cabinet at all, although someone has suggested that it is a badged National of some sort.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525405[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525406[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525407[/ATTACH]

I understand from discussions here that Singer machines only drop into Singer cabinets, but if this Spiegel's badged machine can be replaced with a Singer 66 (which I have also been stalking on both sites) I would go for it. I have rudimentary woodworking skills myself, but have a couple of friends who have much better skills and tools than I who I could probably talk into helping any mods.

I've got a question in to the lister of this machine asking about shuttles (I think this is a vibrating shuttle machine) and needle type, but don't have a lot of faith that I will get a meaningful answer as this has been used as a table and not a sewing machine. Does anyone have any clues as to what model this might be and what it uses? If I could get it working, it might stay in the cabinet.

Thanks for any help you can give a newbie to this mania (although I did learn to sew in the 1960's on my Mom's 1880's White treadle--which she donated to a rummage sale when I was in high school because she had a new Necchi electric machine and didn't want both)
Attached Thumbnails spiegel-sewing-machine.jpg   00k0k_fem6qfkl3xd_600x450.jpg   00m0m_a11alr9p12v_600x450.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

I can't be of much help to you other than yes I think it's a badged National. If I'm wrong someone will quickly correct me. My thoughts are heading in this direction--
That is a very nice looking machine and cabinet. Why would you want to muck it up and put a dime-a-dozen machine in it? While the Spiegel is most likely a common machine not a rare valuable one, I'd choose this over a Singer 66 any day.

Cari
Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 PM

I would only want to change it out if it doesn't have a shuttle and uses round needles. Those are too hard to find, particularly when you don't really know what it should have. I got a response from the seller, but she has it packed up in her van to go to a flea market on Sunday and can't get to it. If it doesn't sell there, I will make her an offer for it and take it in whatever condition I find it (she told me she would be spending the night near me on Sunday and if it is still available I can come see it rather than driving the 90 minutes to her house)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:39 PM

Hi,

Needles, shuttles, and bobbins are not as easily found as Singer but available online. Proper needle is 20x1 or Boye 14 which is longer than common Singer 15x1. Some lower the 15x1 in needle clamp as a 20x1 replacement. The shuttle and bobbins are Boye 13 or sometimes found in a used lot. National was a very common machine and lots of wearable parts if needed are out there, just sort of have to know what your looking for. With any luck your National will have it's shuttle and a few bobbins included. Good Luck.

Jon
Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 PM

thanks so much for that information; I am getting the machine (the seller is even delivering it as I am on the way from her home to the flea market she is going to). With that info re: the Boye numbers, I feel a lot better about being able to use this machine.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Pretty much what Cari said. It's a beautiful machine and cabinet. I'd keep them together too.
Congrats on getting it!
Rodney
Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 PM

Congrats! This was the closest free online manual I could find, compliments of Zorba:

http://www.doubleveil.net/share/reversew.pdf

Jon
Old 07-18-2015, 05:32 AM
KLO

So glad you were able to get this machine. Nice to know that someone who wants to use it for sewing is getting it instead of it being used for a tv stand. Hope it sews like a dream for you. I would have wanted it also although there is no room here for another cabinet.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the manual link--that will be very helpful. I should have quit looking at CL a few days ago. i found a second machine in a cabinet (a 1930 Singer 66) for $75 http://ventura.craigslist.org/hsh/5119957026.html that I am going to go pick up the morning. It appears to be in good shape. The woman I am buying it from is selling it for one of her neighbors in a retirement village and doesn't know anything about it. For $75 and from what I can see in the photos, it is worth that. From now on, if one comes in, one must go. I will NOT become a collector . I have a Juki TL2010Q that I love to quilt on and a inexpensive Brother for those rare times when I need something other than a straight stitch, so this will make 4 machines--two old and two new.

Last edited by MaryTG; 07-18-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 AM

An update: the Singer 66 that I picked up yesterday is in excellent shape. Other than needing a new cord and a new rubber bobbin ring, it seems to be totally functional. Without the drive band installed, I can't be absolutely positive, but I did thread the machine and put in a bobbin and turned the crank enough to make a few stitches. The cabinet sides and 7 drawers are in perfect condition, but not anything unusual in design. I have seen a lot more elaborate ones around, but since this is for sewing and not decor, that's fine with me. The top has round water rings in several places, but the veneer is not lifting. I am thinking of putting black laquer on the top and getting some gold powder to mix in with a sealing coat (gold only around the edges--thought it would complement the back and gold machine).

Getting the Spiegel's one tonight--I hope. While the seller has said she will drop it off, I am sure if she gets a higher offer while at the flea market she will sell it there and avoid the hassle of bringing it to me. Keep your fingers crossed for me.