Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! My 101 won't go...

Blog Entries

Help! My 101 won't go...

A couple of days ago, my 1929 Singer 101 was sewing along just fine when the speed of the motor started getting slower and slower until it finally stopped and won't sew. I would appreciate a few suggestions at what the problem could be. Wiring? Motor burn out?
    the machine was just oiled/lubed by hubby when we got it a couple of months ago and hasn't been used much since then.
    Any ideas/suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

maybe foot pettal broken/burned out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindy-2 View Post
    maybe foot pettal broken/burned out?
    I hadn't thought of that. There is no foot pedal, the knee control is wired into a little white box which is then wired directly into the machine. But maybe the little box burned out. It is discolored, but don't know if it is due to being over 80 years old or from being hot. Thanks!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Does the hand wheel turn easily manually? If so, then perhaps the motor is burnt out or needs repair. If it doesn't turn easily, then perhaps it has thread stuck somewhere in the works that has things frozen up.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Have you checked the carbon motor brushes? They could be worn away....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by path49 View Post
    Have you checked the carbon motor brushes? They could be worn away....
    Yes, my DH checked those specifically when we go it. I remember because the 101 isn't the easiest Singer to oil/lube/check brushes. DH hasn't had time to look at it yet, but his first guess was the box that connects the knee pedal wiring the machine. Can't remember what he called the box. Repairs will have to wait until his job lets up a little. Good thing I have backups!
    Linda