Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help with my machine, vintage dressmaker

help with my machine, vintage dressmaker

I have on old Dressmaker machine that I really don't know anything about. It has a plate on the side that says Model N-380 On the bottom is a number JNZ603724 engraved on it. Also is a printed in some kind of black stuff JA12.

I really wanted to get a teflon presser foot for it but I can't seem to find any info on the machine to figure out what to get. Or if that's even possible. It seems to be a finicky machine but does ok.

Western Tidewater, VA
    Your Dressmaker was made in Japan-that's what the JA12 on the bottom means. Other than that, it's likely to be a low shank (very few of the Japanese imports were anything else, afaik), so any low shank teflon foot should fit fine.
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Central IL
    I have two Japanese ZZ machines that use the high shank feet and attachments, so they are out there.
    A gazillion of these machines were made and imported by hundreds of companies. Very few under their own name. J- A 12 could be Brother or Koyo according to a chart found at the Yahoo Japanese machines group.

Sew-Classics has a "How To" section to determine your presser foot type, and a fair to midlin choice of feet too.

Also some of the Japanese ZZ machines park the needle to the left when on straight stitch. If you buy a SS foot you'll need one that's offset for this.