Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
help with my machine, vintage dressmaker >

help with my machine, vintage dressmaker

help with my machine, vintage dressmaker

Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Default help with my machine, vintage dressmaker

I have on old Dressmaker machine that I really don't know anything about. It has a plate on the side that says Model N-380 On the bottom is a number JNZ603724 engraved on it. Also is a printed in some kind of black stuff JA12.

I really wanted to get a teflon presser foot for it but I can't seem to find any info on the machine to figure out what to get. Or if that's even possible. It seems to be a finicky machine but does ok.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Your Dressmaker was made in Japan-that's what the JA12 on the bottom means. Other than that, it's likely to be a low shank (very few of the Japanese imports were anything else, afaik), so any low shank teflon foot should fit fine.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 AM

I have two Japanese ZZ machines that use the high shank feet and attachments, so they are out there.
A gazillion of these machines were made and imported by hundreds of companies. Very few under their own name. J- A 12 could be Brother or Koyo according to a chart found at the Yahoo Japanese machines group.

Sew-Classics has a "How To" section to determine your presser foot type, and a fair to midlin choice of feet too.

Also some of the Japanese ZZ machines park the needle to the left when on straight stitch. If you buy a SS foot you'll need one that's offset for this.

Joe