Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with unnumbered FW tensioner >

Help with unnumbered FW tensioner

Help with unnumbered FW tensioner

Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 PM

Default Help with unnumbered FW tensioner

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a diagram or photo that shows the correct assembly of the tensioner for an early Featherweight without numbers? I have a new-to-me 1936 Featherweight and the tensioner seems to have been tinkered with. I want to take it apart and reassemble it, but don't have a picture to help me. All the videos and drawings seem to have the numbered tension assembly.
Any help, even a clear photo of the tension assembly from the side, would be very useful. Thanks!
Ila
Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 AM

ILa,

I think the old style FW top tension is pretty much the same design as the 66s and 99s. Check the TFSR site:
{ http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ }
they have very excellent detailed instructions on how to repair and service those.

I'm not sure what tension our FW has since it's a bit newer. Can't remember if it's the numbered one or not.

The older ones are not that complicated though.

Joe
Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Hi Joe,
The FW top tension is slightly different from the 66 and 99. I downloaded the files you directed me to -- really helpful, so thanks for sending me to the site!! I'll definitely be checking out some other information there.
I took apart my top tension and tried to pay close attention to how it all fit together. I *think* I got it back together correctly. I also looked at some photos online of early Featherweights and zoomed in on the tension, and mine looks the same.
Thanks!
If anyone has the exploded diagram for a very early Featherweight, though, please do pass it along!
Ila
Old 01-14-2015, 01:54 PM

Ila, some of the featherweight owner's manuals have exploded diagrams of the tensioners. I have one here for the newer style that has that diagram in it. It might be worth poking around to see if you can find an online free manual for your vintage and see if it has the diagram.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM

Hi, ArchaicArcane,
My Featherweight manual has the exploded diagram but for the numbered tensioner, and I haven't been able to find one online for the earlier Featherweights. I could try eBay but those early manuals are super expensive. Maybe someone offers a copy of one, rather than an original.
Ila
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 PM

Those are the ones I was referring to - the copies, not the originals. It's too expensive to buy on the off chance you'll get what you're looking for. Have you tried ismacs and the other featherweight sites that are mentioned here?

You could also post pics of the parts you have and we can help determine if they're in the right order.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
My Featherweight manual has the exploded diagram but for the numbered tensioner, and I haven't been able to find one online for the earlier Featherweights.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506096[/ATTACH]
How's this? It's from the 221 service manual
Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2015-01-15-13-44-09.png  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM

LMBO! I so should have looked! I had my head in quilting mode today and couldn't think of a source for an exploded diagram. Thanks Mike!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM

Thanks, manicmike! That helps a lot. Mine seems to be correct. After some more cleaning and oiling, I'll plug her in and see how she sews. I'm sure I messed up the setting it was on, but I'll tinker a bit.