home again

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 AM

Default home again

after another weekend trip - flew to Florida and drove back (bought FIL's toyota van).

Saw some interesting left homing machines, but didn't want to buy any. Didn't find anything really interesting, though I did find a metal attachment box that has a type of holder I've not seen before - it has old style Singer side clamp feet - and plates to fit a fiddle base machine.

My husband talked me out of buying a White in a decent Martha Washington style cabinet - I really like that style cabinet and would love to have one - but I've no where to put it!

We did pick up an older White made Domestic. Machine is OK and the wood case is very nice. I'm thinking of putting the machine that came from the family farm in it. And DH got two from his Mother - turns out the Elna belonged to his Grandma, but it's not a vintage machine, and MIL forgot to look for the foot pedal when she grabbed the machine many years ago (after Granny passed) so we'll be looking for a replacement. Looks like it's going to cost around $40 though. The second one DH get is a newer low end Singer - all plastic and electronics. MIL had someone give it to her, she was leaving the goodwill and they were coming in, and she saw they had the machine so they gave it to her instead of the goodwill. Now that DH got her Golden T&S working, she was willing to part with the other two. I don't think she's done any sewing for 20 years, but she says she'd like to. If nothing else we helped reduce the huge pile in her bedroom (true hoarder style collecting and stacking going on) but a tiny bit.

Before we left, a Singer 27 with the pheasant decals showed up in the mail - the machine is OK and came with some attachments I was interested in.

And if anyone is wondering, the Davis low arm sold before we made the trip.

Gotta get busy catching up on work for my job now, and getting ready for another weekend trip in two weeks.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 AM

Welcome home.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM

That was a long drive home...can't believe you didn't acquire any machines along the way. You must have really used restraint....lol