Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hope I didn't mess it up - Bernina 830 (vintage) >

Hope I didn't mess it up - Bernina 830 (vintage)

Hope I didn't mess it up - Bernina 830 (vintage)

Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Default Hope I didn't mess it up - Bernina 830 (vintage)

I know this machine may not qualify as "vintage" but it is at least 30 years old, maybe 40. Anyway, my SIL gave it to me, saying it didn't work. She was right. The handwheel was frozen.

So, I cleaned out 30 (or 40) years worth of greasy dust and lint. I was hoping for something easy, like a thread wound around the bobbin case, but no. The inside was dry as a bone - not a speck of oil to be seen, and no grease on the gears. Having read that some gears don't require grease, I left them alone, but I oiled it up pretty well - hopefully not too much!

Now I can get the handwheel to turn, though it's very hard (that's by hand - I haven't tried powering it on yet). But - the needle bar doesn't engage, in fact it doesn't look like anything in there is moving. I tried reversing the washer on the stop-motion wheel, which didn't help. The belt seems very tight, but I don't know how to get into the side of the machine, so couldn't try anything there.

I know I need to be patient and let the oil do its work, but I'm just worried that I might have messed up the machine even more, although I tried very hard not to move anything but the handwheel.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know if I take it to the Bernina guy he will sneer at my efforts and probably charge me extra because I opened it up! I'll let you know tomorrow if the oil seems to be working. Wish I understood how the handwheel ties into the drive shaft, I could try to find the connection and see if there was something broken.

Thanks!!

Margaret F
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM

I would consider it vintage. I have an 830 but didn't work much on it. I have a 730 out in the shop making me crazy. I bet they are similar designs.

I'm not sure what you mean by following "how the handwheel ties into the drive shaft". You have the top open right? Here are some photos to follow the path http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Repair/Bernina_Sewing_Machine_Maintenance/Bernina_830.htm

The handwheel connects to a shaft with a gear on it that engages an upright nylon gear. Is yours intact? There are 2 gears in the 830 or the 730 that can crack. The upright gear and the camshaft gear.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Try rocking the handwheel back and forth but don't force it, all you want to do is look for what moves and what doesn't while you're doing it. That will help isolate where it's frozen.
The White I've been tinkering with did pretty much the same thing as your Bernina. The frozen part on the White was the hook assembly was rusted up. As soon as I took it apart the machine turned just fine.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Christy - I didn't see any cracks in the gears, but will look again tomorrow. Rodney - nothing inside the machine moves, as far as I can see. That does kind of indicate a broken gear, doesn't it? The power from the handwheel is perhaps not able to move through the cracked gear to the shaft? Ugh. I'll bet those aren't easy to find! I'm going to open it up further tomorrow (take out more screws, probably get the motor off...I'll never get it back together!) - I'll be able to see it from the side and maybe get an idea where the problem is. Thanks, guys!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I would go to the yahoo group about the old 30 something Bernina machines and ask or ask Candace - she knows.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 AM

I wouldn't worry about finding the gears. They are out there-new ones. You an find them on eBay and some sewing stores have them. I had to have the camstack replaced in my 830.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM

When an 830 is locked up tight like that, the usual culprit is a broken nylon gear. Replacing it is not a job for beginners so you'd need to invest in a good tech near you to do the job. Double check that there aren't any threads would around the bobbin area and hook and use a flashlight to inspect the gears. I had one 830 that was locked up like this and it took me about 3 or 4 times to look it over before I spotted the cracked camstack gear.. If it's locked up the crack may be hidden if the gear is rotated and the crack faces down.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM

I don 't have one of these machines but I can tell you from experience, take lots of pictures. Anytime you think about taking a screw out, moving a gear, removing a button, or anything, take a picture. Yes its a bit tedious but it will save you the headache of trying to remember where things go and you won't end up with homeless parts.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions! Especially about taking lots of pictures!! I PM'd Candace and she graciously sent me more ideas of things to look for. I've gotten to the point where I believe the problem is, in fact, one of the nylon gears is cracked, or that it is just seized up in a place I can't pinpoint. So, boo-hoo, I'm going to take it to the shop. It was fun looking through the machine and seeing where things come together and sort of figuring how it works, but this is beyond me. Wish I had someone around who could teach me some things - I've got a Morse SX-4000, a Necchi (can't remember which number, but newer), an Italian Necchi Supernova, and an old Kenmore waiting out in the garage! I was told that the Kenmore works, but haven't looked at it yet - weighs about 400 pounds, I think.

I think I'll rest a couple of weeks and maybe actually do some sewing before I start the next one!

Thanks again,

Margaret F