Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to clean plastic geard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

Dial up the parts lists on the Singer site. I've found the same gear has the same number regardless of which machine it's used in. At least so far.

Joe
    it might not be to hard to replace that melted gear - I suspect the ones under the bobbin though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Miriam,

Was looking at a parts place, here is the link to their Singer 630 parts:
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx

Looks like they have most of the gears that machine needs. I'd give it a go ... but then I'm a sucker for an ailing machine.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

Was looking at a parts place, here is the link to their Singer 630 parts:
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx

Looks like they have most of the gears that machine needs. I'd give it a go ... but then I'm a sucker for an ailing machine.

Joe
    I'll have to look at that machine again and evaluate the other plastic gears
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thank to everyone. I wouldn't use the break cleaner myself. My husband would use it for me. I got them cleaned up with a toothpick and a small screwdriver. Greased them with Singer grease and it sewed great. I paid $37.45 which included tax and sold it to my neighbor for the same price. I told her about the gears and that if they break I would give her money back. I figured I could salvage parts. It would also be fun to tear one down completely for the learning experience. The machine is in a cabinet, has the original manual, attachments and buttonhole maker. Sandy
    Last edited by js3830; 06-11-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Are you talking about automotive "brake" cleaner or is there a product out there called "break clean"? Sorry for the confusion.
    Anita

I'd rather be stitchin' than in the kitchen!

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Are you talking about automotive "brake" cleaner or is there a product out there called "break clean"? Sorry for the confusion.
    I'm pretty sure we are talking about automotive aerosol break cleaner. Sometimes I and others just shorten it to break clean.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2