Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How Do You Keep Your Vintage Machines Safe and DRY? >

How Do You Keep Your Vintage Machines Safe and DRY?

How Do You Keep Your Vintage Machines Safe and DRY?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM

Default How Do You Keep Your Vintage Machines Safe and DRY?

I used to live in a very dry and arid climate. But now, I live in a place that has much higher humidity and rainfall. I'm starting to notice that my machines are getting a bit more corrosion and rust on them...a problem that I never had before. I have my sewing machine collection in a shed, down in town. I left them there for the winter, while we worked on our house. I'm getting a sickening feeling that everything down there has rusted out...AUGH! I've gotta go check on them ASAP. What do you do to keep your machines safe and dry?

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Never store them anywhere that isn't heated during the winter. I had the problem of where to store my mil's things when she had a stroke. We had to put her things into storage for a year. Her sewing machine was one of the few things that we stored at our home.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 PM

What pennycandy said, plus keep the oiled, and keep a light coating of oil on the plated parts too.

I live in IL and so far I've had machines in the basement ( flooded twice ) and in the garage and no rust that wasn't already there. But I keep them oiled just like firearms when not in use.

Joe
Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Power Poster

Keep them in a case. When I bought out a hoard of machines the ones in the cases kept the best. Don't leave any fabric. no thread on the bobbins
Old 03-01-2015, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Keep them in a case. When I bought out a hoard of machines the ones in the cases kept the best. Don't leave any fabric. no thread on the bobbins
No thread on the bobbins? Hummm...is that because the thread acts as a wick? I'm going down there today or tomorrow to have a good look at the machines. Many of them are stored in plastic bins and more are in their cases. I was thinking of buying some of those "DampRid," packets that are put into packages and on boats to keep the contents dry and mildew free. I've also heard of using calcium chloride to absorb moisture.

Joe I'm going to wipe them all down with oil, but that's about as close as I'll ever get to oiling a firearm...LOL.

~ Cindy
Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 AM

The firearm comment was just a "for example" thing. I forgot to mention what Miriam did. Besides the light oil down I also keep them in their cases, off the floor if possible, and in either their cases or a plastic bag. So far I've been very lucky.

Joe
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM

I keep the herd in the house, the hoard in the garage. In the garage I keep them up off the floor on shelves where possible, but at least lifted off the concrete. My garage is fitted with a wood stove and I am out there working when I can so hopefully that keeps them out of the worst of the damp and colder weather. So far I haven't noticed a problem but many in the hoard came to me already rusted so if they rusted a bit more I wouldn't really notice.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The firearm comment was just a "for example" thing. I forgot to mention what Miriam did. Besides the light oil down I also keep them in their cases, off the floor if possible, and in either their cases or a plastic bag. So far I've been very lucky.

Joe
Joe, I have to disagree on the plastic bag. With temp fluctuation water will condense in the plastic and cause more problems. I do agree to keep them covered in something that can breath and yes a light coat of oil helps. Joe is right do keep them in their cases if they have one.
Skip
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

I agree with Glenn on avoiding the plastic bag. We moved from Seattle to a place 2 1/2 hrs. SW, and overnight saw husband's tools dripping water in the roll about tool chests, well above the floor. He was busy plugging holes where wind was blowing through the attached garage. We put a small portable oil-filled radiator heater in there and hauled up an old de-humidifier from the basement. That de-humidifier was old when we moved here and it is still working 10 years later. The heater and de-humidifier do not work nearly as hard or often now that most of the cold air is blocked.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

In Joe's situation they are in a basement that floods and I doubt if there is much flex in temp - in a situation where there is a flex in temp it would be more of a problem. But if there is already dampness on the machines when they go in the bags it could be a problem.