Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box?

Exclamation How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box?

I rescued an old singer 128 from an antique shop yesterday. She came complete with her wood box and cover but the box is very brittle and falling apart. I want to remove the machine from the box and just put it with the cover as a display item and put the 128 in the new box I purchased for my 66. I haven't had a chance to look at exactly how they are in there. Hope to do that this evening. But figured I'd ask here before I completly destroy her box trying. (which won't be diffcult as she is coming apart already!) so help!
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle
    Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight
    my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758
    Flower, Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66
    Singer 99K
    Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

Kitty, first - the 128 won't fit a box made for a full-sized Singer. The hinges are in the wrong place. To remove the machine from the hinges tilt it back and loosen the set screws that bears on the pins that protrude from the hinges, the slide it toward you and off of the pins.

Ken is correct, the 128 won't fit in the box made for a full sized machines.
    If you are going to trash this original box/ base please save the two 'barrel' hinges. They are recessed into deep holes in the base. To remove them turn the base upside down. Look into the two holes on the underside. You should see a screw head in each hole. After removing the screws the hinges will come out from the top side. If lost those screws are difficult to replace, keep them with the hinges.
    Cathy

Name:  99 base bottom view.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  78.7 KBName:  99 base hinge screw.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  42.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Kitty, first - the 128 won't fit a box made for a full-sized Singer. The hinges are in the wrong place. To remove the machine from the hinges tilt it back and loosen the set screws that bears on the pins that protrude from the hinges, the slide it toward you and off of the pins.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"