Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does refinishing a cabinet affect it's value?

How does refinishing a cabinet affect it's value?

I have a featherweight table that could use a little refinishing, nothing major. I also have parlor cabinet that has a burn mark on the top. I intend to keep the featherweight table, as I bought it to go w/the 221 that I learned to sew on. I might consider selling or trading the parlor cabinet. Here's a pic of the top of the parlor cabinet. For me, I put a doily on it, as I am using it as an end table in my living room. What are your thoughts on this subject?
    DollyO
    Franklin Parlor Cabinet
    Name:  12-100_5664.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  131.3 KB
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

Blog Entries
    you could refinish just the top.. but if it is doesnt bother you leave it.. sometimes if you sand it and it is just the a veneer top you could ruin it because of it being so old and dry... I will gladly take it, burn mark and all..
    Squirrelly Shirley

Try some Murphy Oil on it.

Murphy's Oil soap is my go to cleaner for just about everything. But it won't work on this. I used Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner on it. I'm considering using Howard's Restor a Finish on it, using a bit of steel wool. I would have to do the entire piece if I do that to keep the color and finish consistent. But my real question is, will using that product lower the value of the piece significantly?

Dolly .. just my opinion and bear in mind I am not an antique expert by any stretch of the imagination ...

... The only items (machine or cabinet) I would not dare to refinish are pieces that are very rare (meaning less than 100 survived) or have historical significance (ie documented provenance that it belonged to Mary Todd). A mass produced Singer cabinet is neither. If the item is going to live in my house and be displayed in my house, I want it to look pretty. Almost all of my cabinets are going to undergo a degree of restoration/refinishing (stripping varnish on wood, replacing veneers, sand blasting irons and re-painting, re-plating metals, replacing screws, re-upholstering stool bench seat).

So if the discoloration bothers you and this is not a rare cabinet ... go ahead and refinish it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Thank you. That puts it in perspective. I do like pretty things.

Dolly,

That burn has destroyed what ever collector value the cabinet had. It won't hurt it any more to carefully the top, I'm sure the glue under the veneer has died due to the heat. Then sand just the top, stain it to match, shellac it, wax it and make it better again.

That is what I did with my Singer 9W-7 treadle. Here's the thread I did on it:
    { Look it what I'm getting for free ...... update }

I've also got a Franklin 1911 in a Parlor cabinet I had to repair the bottom of. I paid no mind to the question of value as that was gone due to the water damage.

Joe

That wood looks beautiful. I did mine recently (http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com....k-restore.html) but it's probably even much less rare than yours is (1960-ish) so I had no dilemma when choosing to make it pretty. If you do re-do the lid, I'd always recommend urethane to shine and protect it, until someone shows me something better.
    Mike
    My Singers: Model 12 (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Model 15 (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1949), 96k41 (1947), 103k (1950), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 319k, 320k2, 401a, 411g
    Others: Necchi Supernova Ultra 2, Climax, Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Bernina Record 830, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260

Joe,
    Beautiful job. Hard to believe considering what you started out with. I remember reading that post.
    So much good advice. Looks like I will be sanding. Just talked w/the Restor a Shine people. It won't work for this. It needs to have a finish. The burned part doesn't have a finish. If I sand just the top, then restain, that should work. I've never used shellac, just poly (water and oil based), tung oil, and lacquer. I put together a reproduction 1790 Philadelphia Piecrust table and used Tung Oil on it. It's gorgeous, just not old. Does anyone have any experience w/Tung Oil or should I just stick w/shellac like the original finish.
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

If it is mine and I like it and intend on keeping it...I refinish it so I am happy. WHen I am gone, it is for someone else to keep or dispose of

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast