Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to sew with a HAND CRANK sewing machine >

How to sew with a HAND CRANK sewing machine

How to sew with a HAND CRANK sewing machine

Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Default How to sew with a HAND CRANK sewing machine

Learning to use a Hand Crank sewing machine:

First find a machine with a hand crank - make sure it is in working order. It will thread like it usually does. The only difference will be how it is powered.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504200[/ATTACH]

The hand crank is an attachment held on by the bolt on the end of the machine. I have also put suicide knobs on machines with no place to bolt on the hand crank attachment. I also put a hand crank on a New Home that had no motor mount boss:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504204[/ATTACH]

Figure out which way to turn the crank/knob - draw an arrow on the wheel or what ever it takes to keep you going in the right direction while you learn. If you use a Sharpie it will wipe off with a little rubbing alcohol - just be careful not to get any rubbing alcohol on anything but the shiny metal.

Walter with a suicide knob - he's learning which way to turn it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504201[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hc-singers-007.jpg   walter-hard-work-007.jpg   new-home-003.jpg   new-home-002.jpg   new-home-hc-003.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-31-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

After you have figured out which way to turn the crank you will need to learn to control your work:

If you learn to HC you HAVE to control your work with your left hand. I see a lot of different people check out machines. Way too many people try to sew with one hand pulling fabric through the machine with their left hand - I've seen a few try it with their right hand, too. Then they wonder why their projects look terrible. You are supposed to keep your hands in front of the needle and let the machine do the work. (I think I learned that the hard way with a sewing machine vaccination when I was about 5 or 6.) An investment in a finger guard may help set some boundaries. If you use a HC you will need to learn to sew by controlling your project with your left hand only. I learned on a HC and did not realize how much control I have with my left hand. If nothing else it is a good way to improve your sewing. The HC is good for speed control. You can go very slowly and stop anywhere you like. I have also gone about as fast as I ever want to. Then I've had kids want to 'help' and they tend to go as fast as they possibly can. There are projects I like to go slow on. The HC is wonderful for those. They are very predictable. A motor or a treadle is less predictable for speed. I am thinking my brain waves go quicker to my arm than my legs and feet.

When I was camping I was bombarded with little kids wanting to test out my HC. Not wanting a thread nest, I let them sew on paper. 3x5 or preferably larger cards and cheap brown paper lunch bags are good to learn on. I tell them they HAVE to keep their left hand in front of the needle. Here is my method and it doesn't have to be in any order:

Student puts dots on the paper bag or card - pencil crayon or marker - what ever is handy will work. The student can choose how many dots they want and put them anywhere they want. Next they sew from one dot to another dot then they drop the needle into the dot, lift the foot and turn the paper then sew to another dot. See how many lines they can make. They can also use a page of dot to dots or a maze. Those can be found on Google or from a book.

Another thing to do is to sew between the lines on a 3X5 or larger card.

Sew down each line of the card.

Sew around the edges stop and turn the corner. Dots might help there, too.

Sew about anywhere on a paper bag - then open it and look at the pattern - shine a light! But I like to let them test out curves on the paper bag. Hearts, circles, names, words, etc.

Then try piecing a 9 patch or some simple project.
As long as they are learning to control their work make it fun.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

Getting past the some what irrational fear of the needle can be interesting:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504205[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails heartnut-012.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-31-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504206[/ATTACH]
Cute little girl testing out my Vindex with a suicide knob. The kids seem to go for the odd machine with a suicide knob. You can barely see it but we put an electrical wire with a 2 pronged thingy on it - bent it to define the needle area to protect fingers... It does nothing to stop a needle from going through a finger but mentally it helps - also note she would not put her hands on the machine to control her bag. LOL
Attached Thumbnails heartnut-006.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-31-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

This kid took things very seriously:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504207[/ATTACH]
Old 12-31-2014, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

And my Grand daughter Miss G had got the control part down very well:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504208[/ATTACH]
Old 12-31-2014, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

The two machines we use around here are an old Singer 99 and it is a beater:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504209[/ATTACH]

and a Singer 15:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504210[/ATTACH]
Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

I have not been able to find a HC machine in the wild.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

There is something soothing about sewing on one - there just isn't a whole lot of noise.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

I set one machine up just to do button holes. I love doing buttonholes on the HC.